• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A bit of advice needed on my new tank please

blindcavefish

Seedling
A bit of advice needed on my new tank please

Bit of background info first;

I was going to buy a much larger tank a while ago, but due to space restrictions, I’ve had to go for a smaller one. I did start a thread about 9 months ago, about starting a new tank, and the replies were really helpful. And now I need some more advice please.

I’ve got a new Juwel 180 turning up this Friday :D .

I’m aiming for a well planted community tank. However, it’s going to be a relatively ‘low-tech’ set up. The lighting is 2x35w T5 lights. I’ve already got some EasyCarbo and some TNP+ which is all I’m going to add for ferts and Co2.

I know that pressurised Co2 would make things a lot more interesting but that’s not the way I want to go. And I also know that mixing up my own ferts would be cheaper, but again, after A LOT of reading the different threads on here, it’s not the way I want to go. Sorry folks!

I’m going to use a mix of Tetra-Complete Substrate, Akadama soil and small gravel for the substrate. I’m guessing it will be in these proportions; 60% Tetra-Complete Substrate, 30% Akadama soil and 10% small gravel.

Any ideas on how to layer these different substrates or can I just mix them all up?

Now for the cycling advice;

It is possible for me to get my hands on a fair bit of established gravel from my LFS, and they would probably let my siphon a good amount of water from their tanks if needed to.

A couple of questions;

I’m guessing that it’s better if I get established gravel rather than established water?

Am I correct in thinking that, the more established gravel I get, the quicker my tank will cycle?

Can I just put the established gravel in filter bags and lay them on my own substrate, or is there another way I could do it? I can’t see how I could get the established gravel in my filter as it’s an enclosed unit?

Will all the added established gravel dramatically speed up the cycling process enough for me to bother adding Ammonia, or will just mean I have to add less ammonia for a shorter period of time?

Last couple of questions; I’ve done a lot of research on ‘easy plants’ so I’ve got a good idea about which plants to choose for my set up. Am I correct in thinking that I should plant all my plants at once and keep the light level low for the first month or so – about 5 hours a day? Do I add the TPN+ and EasyCarbo from the first day, weekly or wait for the cycling process to complete?

Any advice would be greatly received

Cheers

Tetra Complete should be topped with gravel/sand I believe so not a one to mix. I'd be more inclined to keep it simple, Tetra Complete topped with the gravel/sand of your choice.

Gravel from an existing tank is good, however borrowing some media from a mature filter and using it in the new tank filter.

I read an article on here suggesting that cycling of the tank is not necessary if you heavily plant a tank from the word go. Essentially the article (i think its pined in the 'plants' or 'general' section) stated that plants take up ammonia from the fish waste etc
Regular water changes should be undertaken.

Also it is not generally a good idea to cycle a planted tank, as the combination of ammonia + plants + light = algae.

I am a begginer and so i may be corrected.

I'd be reluctant to use gravel or used media from a LFS. The nature of their business means that any number of diseases and parasites pass through their tanks. Good fish shops quaratine their fish for a bit before selling them on but they also get a lot of new stock weekly and have multiple tanks on one system. I'd only use media from a tank that I know is disease free.

For reference. I added the ceramic media from my fully cycled fluval u2 internal filter and my river reef to my 2 external fluvals on my 500l prior to planting and added 4ppm ammonia as an experiment. All ammonia was processed in 36hrs and I was left with .5 nitrite so yes added seeded media will help. Left the filters clear the water then did a partial water cahnge before planting ad didn't want to risk algae.

Back