• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worth setting a tank up for 6 weeks?

Garuf

While scaping tonight I noticed that I've only actually got 7 weeks left in my property before moving into my accomodation for the next 12 months, my questions pretty simple: is it worth setting it up the tank knowing i'll have to move out with the tank exteremly shortly.
My experience with my last tanks when I moved were less than enjoyable, all of them the scapes totally coming apart so I'm sort of thinking, No as any scape will make it more cumbersome with it having water and I also run the risk of scape damage.

What do you guys think? I don't mind setting a nano up as they're easier in this situation but my big tank has me worried.

Hey Garuf,
I'd go with your instinct of no. Moving in itself is a pain, let alone having to strip down large tanks.
cheers tel

I'd set it up mate, if you do it properly it's easily moved. The key is to get every drop of water out, use airline hose get the last bits out. I'd it's your big tank that you set up, slide it onto a board like a piece of ply and carry it that way.

I suppose it all depends on how much you want a tank right now.

How big is the tank? If it's not huge why not dry-start it and don't fill it? That way you can strip down your old setup in the move. Your new tank will be pre-cycled for your livestock and you will have an old cycled filter.

It's the 60x45x45, my big tank, When I moved last time, I drained out everything using airline then packed it with newspaper, everything still shifted really badly so much so that when I refilled almost everything came unplanted.

I'd love to have a tank going, even if it's just to have something to watch grow. I've been tempted by this warm weather to get a couple of pots of Ug and some moss and see if I can grow them out. I bought a 2 litre cask jar from ASDA thinking I could grow out some UG but never quiet got round to it.

Garuf said:
It's the 60x45x45, my big tank, When I moved last time, I drained out everything using airline then packed it with newspaper, everything still shifted really badly so much so that when I refilled almost everything came unplanted.

I'd love to have a tank going, even if it's just to have something to watch grow. I've been tempted by this warm weather to get a couple of pots of Ug and some moss and see if I can grow them out. I bought a 2 litre cask jar from ASDA thinking I could grow out some UG but never quiet got round to it.

i take it the measurements are in cm's?

thats only a small tank mate! set it up, go for it!
you should try moving my 120x60x60!

I moved a 135 x 60 x 60 reef tank once... Never, ever, ever again am I moving a tank on moving day...

See my thoughts exactly, I should really just wait I suppose, I dread ruining a scape.

Like Peter suggests, why not just use it to grow-out some plants for your final 'scape?

No hardscape to restrict circulation, loads of light, CO2 and nutrients. You'll get some real good growth going on, then when it comes to creating your desired 'scape once you've moved, you'll have a great head start with less of the usual start-up issues.

Just a thought. :)

Back