• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming HC?

nry

Is it a case of ripping it up and replanting or is it a case of amazing patience, small scissors and lots of time?

I find the easiest way is to rip the whole lot out and replant small tufts of it. Soon spreads out and fills in the gaps. I used to trim but didn't find the results as good, and also takes ages to net out all the small bits that float around.

Others will probably have their own ways.

James

Which is what I was thinking...not much else I can come up with that is easier really.

I've read that the best way of trimming is to hack it back close the the substrate like you would hairgrass, I've also heard its a good idea to cut it into a chequer board and remove plugs leaving it to refill the gaps.

Don't rip it out!! I just give mine a good haircut with some scissors and it grows back really bushy and compact.

I guess long term it might need to be taken out and replanted eventually but the haircut method has worked well for me in the past and is what I'll do when my new HC tank gets to out of control.

All that said, it does mean you'll end up with million and millions of leaves floating around the tank!!!! :rolleyes:

Sam

Back