• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

green algae on substrate level glass?

bumcrumb

hi all, i am stuck on a little problem, i have cleaned the glass with a blade but i have found on closer inspection that there is green algae on the glass where the substrate starts and it looks like little lines are in it?
i have tried using the blade on it but cant get down that close plus it slightly under the substrate so moving this would disturb my hc :(
would you say this is down to lack of flow down the bottom of the tank? i have also got some lilaeopsis covered in black/dark green algae?
cheers
chris :arghh:

hi mate
if i get myself one of them nano flow things from ebay will that help?
if i can get the flow around there will the algae go away or will it be a no go?
cheers bud! :thumbup: :

Hi

Have you thought about using a credit / debit card for cleaner the glass beneath the substrate, I did use a Shell driver club card which has a radius on one corner - this radius was the same size as the two front internal radius on my tank and its nice and thin / flexible ideal for cleaning the glass between hc plants that are pressed up to the glass.

Regards
Paul.

Ditto on the old store/credit card, useful tool!

Some here also suggest using some black tape up to the height of the substrate on the front/side glass to reduce the light to these areas and hence reduce the algae growth.

I'm having this problem too, I'm using a spray bar across the back, its 750lph in a 60litre tankand its points towards were the algae is, mine look like tiny little green spots, they only appear on the glass and its really stubborn..is this flow related aswell, I'm using colombo flora base..... o_O

Hi,
Green spot algae (GSA) is a function of low CO2 and/or low PO4, and of course flow/distribution and excessive lighting are always an issue.

Cheers,

Cheers Ceg, ill cut my lighting down a couple hours, need to get a proper pressurised co2 kit on the go.

Back