• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ada wannabe stand

i decided to try my hand at making my own one, how hard could it be seriously, a little bit of ply, some laminate and there we go...

here are the pieces cut and layed out, two pieces on top.

stand.jpg

all the pieces assembled, the joins were all glued and screwed and biscuited

stand1.jpg

the obligatory ada front strip

stand2.jpg

i found the exact right color formica:

formica.jpg

body mostly finished

i just need to wire up the light fitting inside

front.jpg

top.jpg

last pics of the body...

all the laminate on and trimmed:

front_lam.jpg

light fitting, not wired up yet to come on when the door opens:

light.jpg

pic with the light on:

light_on.jpg

light on, main lights off, looked like a google sketchup rendering, so i couldnt resit adding it here...

lights_off.jpg

and now i need to make the doors and hang them.

Impressive stuff, the only detail missing is the holes on the side are circled and the ADA cabinets are not ;)
Looking forward to seeing it complete, if not rude to ask, how much have you spent on the cabinet?

Nice work! Wondered on one of these myself, managed to build a pretty decent sub enclosure for the car and the principle is kind of the same :)

Nice Job. I bet trimming the Formica was fun. I guess you are not in the UK with those power sockets on the wall.
Did you use a router with a bearing to trim it.

Simon

i bought a router, which i have been wanting to get for ages anyway for other projects, and i got that at 40% discount at a closing sale

the other electric tools i have used so far:

table saw
circular saw
drill
biscuit cutter
belt sander

you can get away without using most of those if you get the hardware shop to cut the wood for you...

this has cost:

2 sheets of 18mm ply @ £20 each
1 sheet of storm grey formica @ £72
4 hinges, screws, biscuits, hinge cup cutter, etc. £20
1 tin of contact £6
a laminate router bit £20

£128 in total

the 90cm ada stand is around £600 so quite a saving :)

thanks adam!

@nry - putting the cabinet together was the easy part, trimming the laminate was the hard part.

@steve - lookup ^

@alwaysbroke - i am in south africa. trimming the laminate sucked, i cut myself loads, had to learn to use the router with the bearing bit, not a good idea to learn on the actual cabinet... i will be making another one in future with less mistakes. i thought i could cover up some imperfections with the laminate, but it is super unforgiving and highlights them instead of covering them up. it seems logical after the fact, but for aesthetics it is really important to get the order of the gluing right. a laminate rasp also came in handy for when i did not want to use the router...

My wife will be most upset if she ever saw this... I have been using the "but every bodies home build stand looks more functional than aesthetically pleasing line" for years... This cabinet would ruin that lie ;)

Nice work...

Also, did you say you were going to rig the light to come on automatically when the cabinet doors open? If so, any pointers how?

Cheers,

thanks kosh!

i was thinking about just using a switch like in a fridge or car door, i am sure these are easily available from spares places. when the door is closed the door pushes against the switch which breaks the circuit so the light goes off, when it opens a spring inside pushes the switch out and completes the circuit so the light comes on. then just take the wires and run them through the switch and then to the plug.

something like this:

2149705.jpg

it probably wont look very pretty, but i can always make a little enclosure or something, it will also be inside where you wont see it, and the convenience should far outweigh how it looks :)

ive fitted much muuuch smaller neater looking things like this to wardrobes, ill ask tomorrow where we got them from.

Nice build :D

Back