• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Re: My venture into my new 760 ltr aquariam.

Looking good :thumbup: The pictures are getting me excited :lol:

Thanks, Celestial.

So well planned, are you activating the akadama like in James' thread or are you putting it in "raw"?
Also, what do you imagine the final scape to look like, do you have any photos that give us ideas?

Also, are you keeping that blue background? It's not really my cup of tea. :/

Totally off topic, do you know anything about entry level midsize model planes or helicopters? I've worn my Picooz out and I'm looking for something a bit bigger and better.

Garuf said:
So well planned, are you activating the akadama like in James' thread or are you putting it in "raw"?
Also, what do you imagine the final scape to look like, do you have any photos that give us ideas?

Also, are you keeping that blue background? It's not really my cup of tea. :/

Totally off topic, do you know anything about entry level midsize model planes or helicopters? I've worn my Picooz out and I'm looking for something a bit bigger and better.

My wood has arrived for the scape, if you can call it that. In my view I have the wood to try and grow things on.
I do not like the blue,( the wife dose) but its removable and it will probably be black or silver ,though with the amount of plants you wont see much of it. I will get some pictures tomorrow of the wood. Also got my dry salts.

PM me about the models and I will give you my email address. Sure I can help you out

Terrible picture , but its all I can do at the moment.
Just pushed it in the substrate to see what it looks like. To many things on to do anything with this at the moment
DSCF0042Small.jpg

DSCF0050Small.jpg

Its a big bit of wood

Simon

Had an Email from Mark And James at Plantbox.com to say my plants have arrived. James is working out a a planting plan for me. Nice chap. :thumbup:
I am away all weekend so I will have something to look forward to when I arrive home.

Simon

Mowze said:
Is that a Hozelock pond pump? I hope nothing goes wrong and you have to dig it out of the substrate.

It is a pond pump, can't remember the make. Don,t see a problem with it really. Its mag drive and has to run 8 mins a week to do my water change. Its got a good prefilter and the water in this tank will be sparkling clean compared to what its designed to pump. I have a similar one in the pond running one of my trickle filters that has been running non stop for 8 years. So I am happy to put some faith in it

Simon

My worry with that pump would be if some thing does go wrong. with it being right at the bottom it could empty the tank. not good for fish

danmil3s said:
My worry with that pump would be if some thing does go wrong. with it being right at the bottom it could empty the tank. not good for fish

The only thing that can go wrong it that the timer sticks on.
Having used electronic timers for many years I have never had that happen but I suppose it could. Would have to deal with that at the time . I could fail-safe it with a float switch and relay . Could be mounted in the weir cover at that end of the tank as the cover is bigger than the weir itself to hide the pipework and power cable from the pump.The weir cover water level is always the same as the tank unlike the weir which is always full. Perhaps will look into that when I have a bit of free time.
Could also fail-safe it with a in line timer that is fired from the start of the pump run , Just set this one to stop 30 seconds after the main one . I have a few of those somewhere amongst my junk collection .
Apart from that happening there is no way of it emptying the tank . The discharge has a Syphon break in it that is mounted in the top of a "T" that sees no water flow to prevent any dirt clogging it up so its not going to drain the tank of its own accord..
Can you foresee any other problems

Simon

Simon, this cant fail! Looking great :clap:

Mark Webb said:
Simon, this cant fail! Looking great :clap:

Thanks Mark.
I am looking forward to seeing yours. That is going to be a great set up.
Just got my second 6.25kg C02 bottle. Had a thought that if the one I have runs out I can't easily get a replacement there and then as the gas supplier is only open weekdays to 4.30 when I am normally at work.This was playing on my mind a bit. At least now I have time to get the empty one changed with out panicking
I am also waiting to see how long one lasts, although at £10 a time to get it filled up its not that costly ,more inconvenient getting it.

Thats it , off till Monday now.

Simon

i would put some sort of fail safe on the change pump just in case. my 10kg co2 lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Plants , more plants and even more plants and even more plants . Now in possession of some 230 pots of plants.
This is going to take a bit of planting I think.

PlantsMedium.jpg

Had a bit of a lighting disaster. Got told on Tuesday that there were no lighting unites in the UK like the one I ordered . Made a quick decision and a few phone calls and I now have two 40" Arcadia units coming for Friday. Thanks to my LFS for sorting it out.It will be better in some ways as it is now the full length of the tank ,but smaller units to remove for tank maintenance . Just cost another £150 than I was expecting

Roll on Saturday

Simon

er, that is a lot plants! Looking forward to seeing this one!

Cheers
Paul

You should have made an event of planting the tank, and get all the visitors to sort out the plants and 2-3 guys planting it up! lol looking forward to seeing this planted :)

Hope James and Mark have got there sums correct. It dose seam a lot .
As you Know I Know nothing about plants but they do look good.
Will be kept Damp and in the Dark until Saturday morning .
James sent me a planting plan to follow so thats a good start.

Simon

Always Broke said:
Hope James and Mark have got there sums correct. It dose seam a lot .

you'll be surprised mate. my guess is, there will still be space, going from experience here. :thumbup:

LondonDragon said:
You should have made an event of planting the tank, and get all the visitors to sort out the plants and 2-3 guys planting it up! lol looking forward to seeing this planted :)

I would have if there was anyone else I know around here who is into plants. All my mates are into aircraft.
The wife will be helping as usual.

Simon

Back