• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kilda update

BigTom

Just thought I'd post up a few shots from St Kilda that I've had sitting around for a while.

They're all a little rough around the edges due to being processed on my uncalibrated work laptop using the touchpad, and because I rarely have time to pick my light - these are almost all grab shots taken whilst working, but I figured worth sharing.

1. Early morning sunburst above the distant Uists, 40 miles away.
Uist_by_HairyToes.jpg

2. The rare sight of breakers in the normally sheltered Village Bay.
Levensih_horses_by_HairyToes.jpg

3. Wild soay sheep desperately awaiting new grass growth, with part of the Street behind:
The_Street_by_HairyToes.jpg

4. Cleiteans in Glen Bay, with a partial view of Boreray behind.
Cleiteans_by_HairyToes.jpg

And some bits n pieces -

5. Another wavebreak in Village Break
Breaker_by_HairyToes.jpg

6. Boreray on a rare sunny day
Towards_Boreray_by_HairyToes.jpg

7. The tallest cliffs in the UK, at 1400 feet
1400ft_by_HairyToes.jpg

8. Hailstorms over Dunn
Hail_over_Dunn_by_HairyToes.jpg

chump54 said:
absolutely stunning, the photos and the place. I think I remember you saying you were going but I can't remember way, was it for some sort of research?

number 3 is fantastic.

do you have any info on the processes you use for your photography?

thanks for posting them here

Chris

Aye, I'm on a 3 year PhD researching the sub-species of field mouse unique to St Kilda. Spend 4-5 months a year over there.

As for the processes... I shoot to capture as much dynamic range as possible, then most of my processing involves using multiple layer blending modes in photoshop (especially overlay and multiply), with lots of layer masks to balance the exposures.

Thanks BigTom, do you keep a blog of your research? I've been looking for a few blogs to read of research projects. I think they might be quite an interesting read (certainly compared to mac rumour sites, youtube channels and the vacuous digg) with beautiful pictures to back it it'll be a winner, for me anyway.

do you combine pictures in a panoramic sense too (ie multiple shots at different angles :crazy: )?

Chris

chump54 said:
I've been looking for a few blogs to read of research projects. I think they might be quite an interesting read

I think you might struggle because if intellectual property rights etc. Normally scientific research is published in scientific journals, the first person to publish some data/evidence for a theory kinda claims it.

Say if BigTom reported something of scientific significance on a blog and someone from a big research team spotted it. A big team could have more money and resources to throw at it, publish it, and claim the finding as their own. Then BigTom has wasted his time and money.

Hope this makes sense chump54 :wideyed:

I really like number 4. The mountain in the distance looks very intriguing!

Becca

Back