• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dosing error, suggestions?

pjf220

Seedling
Hi, I've only just got my tank running properly in the last few weeks, plants in, now have fish and this week was my second time of adding TPN+. I added it yesterday, Saturday, and without thinking. Today I've just done a 20% water change and then cleaned the external filters. The TPN+ will have mixed in the tank, but now I've got rid of 20% of the water. Would I be best to let it be till next week or should I think about adding a bit more TPN+ to compensate?

Many here split the dose into 3 per week - so e.g. 10ml per week is a little over 3ml every other day. This keeps a more stable nutrient level in the aquarium than one large dose once per week.

I doubt you need to worry, 20% of the whole tank is 20% of the TPN+ you added, which isn't much. If you are bothered then add 20% of the weekly dose now.

Hey there pjf220,
I've learnt many, many things since coming on this forum, but without doubt the biggest has been to not bee be scared of ferts! I was deathly scared of adding too much and damaging my fish stocks, which consequently led to me massively underdosing, meaning rubbish plant growth and massive algae problems. I'd back up what nry says and dose more regularly than once a week, and, depending on the size of your tank, up your dosing to get the best from your plants. Keep an eye on your fish and up the dose week to week to see the best results. To give you a idea i was dosing 1ml/day of TPN+ on my 54l lightly planted tank - had big algae pros and little/no plant growth. Upped it 5ml a day - now no algae, great plant growth and fish and shrimp are very,very healthy!
Have a flick through the ferts threads and you'll see what i mean!
This is a thread i started and learnt a lot from
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10762
Hope this helps!
Matt

Back