• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning marine algae/crust off equipment

Steve Smith

Hey folks. A work mate has very kindly given me a Koralia 1 which he was using in his marine setup, until he replaced it with Tunze powerheads. It turned up on my desk this morning covered in the usual marine algae and "concreation" (for want of a better term).

Just wondering if there are any tips for removing this, other than elbow grease? I'm thinking vinegar or possibly de-scaler (not sure if it's safe to use, haven't checked yet). Any other tips?

Use citric acid, which you can get packets of from chemists for around 50p. You'll have to ask for it as I think they use it to cut drugs and stuff so its kept behind the counter. They will also ask why you want it. I'm lead to believe that branded de-limescaler products are just concentrated forms of citric acid anyway :thumbup: just 10 times the price! :lol:

Just put the powerhead in some very hot water (i.e. just boiled) and add the citric acid. You'll see it 'fizz' the build up right off :) works a treat. You may need to repeat it, if it is very heavy build up.

Sam

Yep Citric Acid Works Great for cleaning coraline and calcium buildup. Just Make sure You are not near enough to breathe in as it will burn.

Hi Steve,

What I tend to do is attack my koralia with a razor blade (!) I used the flexi blades from an aquarium shop and hook the point under some algae and flick it off. I don't necessarily recommend this, and you can damage the koralia and yourself!

Back