• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming' @ 22 days

George Farmer said:
Looking good mate.

I love pruning lawns. They look so fresh afterwards.

thanks George. I'll be quite brutal with it. now i've got good runners which have rooted, i feel confident in trimming it.

always an anxiety inducer though.

Krish's Bettas said:
Saintly what ferts are you using and how WPG have you got?

currently just 2 x 54t5's but I'm adding 2 more to see if I can recover the right corner. I fear though, the whole tank will go into over drive.

ferts wise, it's just plain old EI.

cheers sam.

Heres with the back lighting. this is reserved for when people come round....which never happens.

when in front of it in person, the effect is gorgeous.

back-lighting.jpg

saintly said:
cheers sam.

Heres with the back lighting. this is reserved for when people come round....which never happens.

when in front of it in person, the effect is gorgeous.

back-lighting.jpg

I have been toying with backlighting myself for night ti,es, But i tryed once and could get the right look so i gave up. May try again sometime, Looks great dont it.

I envy your HC. You grow it so quick and it carpets quick to. :lol:

I envy your HC, you grow it so quick and it carpets quick as well. Whats you secrete? :lol:

George Farmer said:
Might have to try that out in mine.

it'd look great on yours george. What i like about the back lighting is, the sparse bits of planting, look more naturel, with a strong light breaking through the stems.

viktorlantos said:
How much lighting you use for backlight on this tank?

hey Viktor. I'm using 1 x 54 T5 with reflector. easily enough for this size tank. :thumbup:

Krish's Bettas said:
Whats you secrete? :lol:

magic water :lol: kidding. I'm not sure mate, good flow, co2, ferts, easycarbo and plenty of W/C in the early stages.

The lighting surprised me, I thought I'd struggle to get it to crawl with just 2 tubes, but it's doing great. My anxieties of it 'dying off' are over. HC makes me nervous and if it fails...which has never happened as yet....I'd feel like I was the failure.

Looking superb Mark! I'm really impressed by the fact that you can achieve this much with so little lighting.

flygja said:
Looking superb Mark! I'm really impressed by the fact that you can achieve this much with so little lighting.

thanks flygja :D

to try and utilise as much of the 2 tubes as possible, i've taken the spare 2 out so the 2 that still reside, use all of the reflector. If you leave the other 2 in, the bounce back of light is limited.

from next week, I'll be adding a burst of light.

The HC that was struggling in the front right, is down starting to do good. I've taken the liiley pipe out to try and get more light to that area. The powerhead needs moving too.

here's how it looks today with my 15mm wide-angle lens.

wide.jpg

I am wondering how many hours of maintenance you put into this tank every week? It looks great. :twisted:

wide.jpg

Great perspective on that last shot mate!

saintly said:
from next week, I'll be adding a burst of light.
Why are you upping the lighting levels, Mark?

Will you compensate by adding more CO2 or other nutrients, or are they already ample to deal with the consequential (and probably exponential) increase in growth rates etc?

Or will it be a case of seeing how things go and making adjustments as you see fit?

George, as soon as I wrote this I did question myself. I came to think that maybe it's not needed. I just need to get out of the mind set of ' high light'

one thing though, The HM needs a good kick into shape. it's growing good but not 'bushy' i've considered the extra light to maybe kick that in to touch.

FishBeast said:
I am wondering how many hours of maintenance you put into this tank every week? It looks great. :twisted:

To be quit honest, I do don't do a great deal now. The first 2 weeks were horrendous. siphoning out crypt leaves etc. now the plants have 'transformed' it's relatively easy. An hour of a weekend maybe?....

I forgot to add, i've added some neons! On the wife's instructions :twisted: They do look nice though, the bright blue against the green. not inventive though.

Looking stunning Mark,i must say you do go out of your way to show us good pics of your setups,its much appreciated and it gives new comers to the hobby a great incentive to what a planted tank can really look like,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Looking stunning Mark,i must say you do go out of your way to show us good pics of your setups,its much appreciated and it gives new comers to the hobby a great incentive to what a planted tank can really look like,
regards john.

cheers John, much appreciated :thumbup:

I've finally trimmed the HC down. All i've had to do was take the horizontal shoots off really. Thinned the thicker clumps out too.

This is during filling and a bit of maintenance. You can also see the fish of course :D

HC-trim.jpg

This is turning into another one of my favourite setups,
regards,
john.

Looking stunning.
Its amazing how its developed in such a short time. A credit to you.

Simon

Neons look great when they're shoaling and there's not many 200+ litre tanks you see them in. Your wife has good taste!

On the lighting it sounds like you may need the burst to trigger the necessary stem growth you mention, but once the stems have grown nearer the surface (more available light), you'll be able to go back to 2x tubes only.

I'd be tempted to run a 3 hour midday burst for up to 7 days and see how you go.

Back