• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aphyosemion Gardneri behaviour

Hi there I have a male Aphyosemion Gardneri (Kilifish) it has been swiming around today and was swimming along the front glass. I have now noticed that it appears to be resting on the sand at the bottom underneath some plants.

Are these fish top swimmers or bottom swimmers? Is he okay or is this normal behaviour?

Fundulopanchax gardneri will swim at all levels and rest at odd angles at times in mops or plants. If he's lying on the bottom for a long period of time though I would keep a carefull eye on him just in case. If he's very big then he could be quite old - while this species is not an annual they aren't too long lived either.

Thanks well he is up and swimming about now and playing with the cucumber I put in for the Otocinclus. So think he okay. I have a planted tank so quite high flow rate he may of been tired from swimming in the currents.

I was playing to buy quite a few Amano Shrimp for the tank will my single male Fundulopanchax gardneri be okay with them.

He should be fine with adults shrimp but IME killifish will kill and eat any shrimp small enough to attack! If you can you might want to get some girls for your male as they will spawn in your tank and the fry may well survive and grow with no help from you to give you the next generation.

Thanks I have just bought 10 large amano shrimp and added them to the tank my killifsih seems to be pestering them but the shrimp don't hide they just move away. He seems to like nip them I'm hoping its just curiosity as its something new in the tank. Any opinions?

He's probably going to try and eat them. If they're too big and tough for him to manage he'll give up. If not, he'll eat them bit by bit. Try giving him some frozen food so he's not as hungry and it help encourage him to give up and leave them alone.

Back