• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi-kusa projects

Found this cool minamalist LED light. Not sure how much photosynthesis is happening but it looks cool. Also set up a new WK, plants include, venous fly trap, Hydrocotle, and Amazon swords. The swords and hydrocotle have just started growing emergent, hope the VF survives, they sound as tricky as UG :!:
tanksapril2010058.jpg

tanksapril2010060.jpg

tanksapril2010062.jpg

You've certainly got an eye and a knack for these Wabi's now T, I reckon you could make a good few pennies from putting them together and then putting them up on the internet. What a nice addition to a house they would be. I'd certainly have one :lol: :thumbup:

Is your light from John Lewis?

Cheers,
Neil

TBRO, your great at this! Amazing little scapes.

inspired me to try one now. I've been growing plants on the window sill to see if I can do it. I may take the plunge into creating something more 'scape like.

Re: Wabi-kusa project

TBRO said:

This is my favourite so far, what a little gem :) you sure have the knack for this mate, wanna sell it? haha
Keep up the good word :) how big is the bowl?

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D I find working on this small scale suits me as I always get new ideas and breaking down your tank every 2 weeks is a bit impractical.

Yes, Neil the light is from John Lewis, I don't think it does any actual photosynthesis. I keep pestering the guys at TGM to import the ADA lights specifically designed for these scapes. (you can see some in the tours of his gallery on youtube). Desk lamps are Ok but can easily burn emergent plants I've found. The container the VF scape is in is quite cool it's acrylic but looks like glass (also from JL)

I'm really fond of the bowl, always somthing new poking out of the riccia. I got the idea to try riccia from frog tanks but it seems to be a good planting medium for other species, like a big sponge. I periodically squirt some TPN in. The bowl is 20 cm diameter.

Cheers, T

Cheers WBS, am I just turning into a gardener? I must set something up under water!!

TBRO said:
Yes, Neil the light is from John Lewis, I don't think it does any actual photosynthesis. I keep pestering the guys at TGM to import the ADA lights specifically designed for these scapes. (you can see some in the tours of his gallery on youtube).

The Do!Aqua ones? If a few of us asked about them maybe they would they get them in... but I wonder how much they would want for one?

Nice work Tom, your really going for the wabi kusa's. They can only go from strength to strength as the summer gets longer.

I was in a garden center today and saw Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, Marsilea sp. and many other aquatic plants we would consider for out aquariums and plants that would demand hight light and Co2 etc..... Interesting stuff.

Regards the DoAqua lights.... I believe they are on the way, along with the bowls to go with them......

NeilW said:
TBRO said:
Yes, Neil the light is from John Lewis, I don't think it does any actual photosynthesis. I keep pestering the guys at TGM to import the ADA lights specifically designed for these scapes. (you can see some in the tours of his gallery on youtube).

The Do!Aqua ones? If a few of us asked about them maybe they would they get them in... but I wonder how much they would want for one?

Hi.. The ADA lights are pretty, but they must cost a lot.. All ADA stuff costs a lot.

I would get a indoor grow lamp, and lamp shade and a lamp holder, make my own version.

Try this:
444.jpg

http://www.growell.co.uk/p/1582/CFL-Lea ... kits-.html

I would just like one ADA lamp for showing off one WK at a time. It would look cool on a pedestal like in the pics. Any idea what they will be retailing for Graeme? ADA does cost but I find the stuff is top quality.
branch_stand_h_01.jpg

It looks very pretty, but I am sure that it will cost a lot. :) Not that I am cheapskate, but I am sure that it is just a lamp with a bulb, and someone with a metal base and some tubing can make it just as well.. :)

While waiting for things to grow, here are some inspirational Wabi-sabi snaps I took last weekend on my phone. I especially like the car part getting swallowed by the forest. T
tanksapril2010064.jpg

tanksapril2010063.jpg

tanksapril2010068.jpg

Couple of update shots. The UG has melted in some places but growing back, seems to not like getting too wet! It rots where water has covered it's leaves. The Hydrocotle has to cut back to stop it smothering the UG.
tanksapril2010086.jpg

My original WK has been totally dominated by hairgrass and will be replaced soon.
tanksapril2010093.jpg

This WK just grows like crazy, might even think of giving it a trim (very un Wabi-sabi) :lol:
tanksapril2010104.jpg

Thanks for looking, T

Seems to be good weather for WK. I'm exited as I've ordered some more carnivorous plants from Triffids. The bowl keeps sprouting little surprises, stems keep popping up out of the riccia and UG is slowly spreading around one corner.

The Amazon sword is looking healthy but I'm not sure what species it is or how big it will get, can anyone ID ?
tanksapril2010121.jpg

tanksapril2010115.jpg

tanksapril2010117.jpg

tanksapril2010116.jpg

tanksapril2010123.jpg

tanksapril2010122.jpg

Really nice T. Out of interest did you know how many watts your LED John Lewis desk lamp would be equivalent to? I havn't got a clue about LED lighting but thought one would look great on my nano but wasn't sure if it would nuke it!
Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil, there is no wattage on the light. It's OK for emergent plants but I think one would be a bit weak for a planted tank. Would be cool for a non-planted bio-tope maybe. I think mine must have been in a sale as I went back the other day and their going for £35 each which seems a bit steep.

More experimenting, been having a play with carnivorous plants in a WK style. They are really fascinating and seem to like these emergent conditions. Not sure how my Buddha feels about all this, probably takes it all in his stride...
tanksapril2010129.jpg

tanksapril2010131.jpg

tanksapril2010132.jpg

tanksapril2010135.jpg

tanksapril2010137.jpg

tanksapril2010138.jpg

tanksapril2010140.jpg

tanksapril2010141.jpg

tanksapril2010128.jpg

You just misting these by hand everyday to keep them moist? With your goldfish bowl is the Riccia being used as a substrate? They all look great!

Back