• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Short photo period midday burst?

Dan Walter

Hi, I'm currently running 2xT5's on a 6hr photo period for the first few weeks of a new set up. I'm Just wondering if turning on another 2 lamps for a midday burst would be ok as my glosso doesn't seem to be spreading, although it is growing upwards.

Would this just encourage algae?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dan

I can never understand why people want to do this(no offence) to me, it just makes sence that the sudden change in light will not be matched by the increment in nutrients and co2, which may result in algae,

just my 2pence,

Adam

I'm in total agreement with Adam. Where on Earth did the concept of adding more light to solve problems arise? I've got a better idea. How about a midday burst of CO2? How about a midday burst of better flow/distribution? Then you'll find that your plants will respond much better. Your current proposal will only ever result in a midday burst of algae. :crazy:

Cheers,

hey dan,

you didnt say how big the new setup was.

i run a noon burst on my setup, and my plants grow like crazy. thats the one gripe i have with ei though, tom says run x amount of xyz for this size tank and sort everything else out with light and co2, to slow things down, lower the light, speed things up, increase the light. but i guess you also have to use your common sense, coz you might need more of x if you have more stems, less y if you want the reds to show etc.

30ppm of co2 normally regarded as the ceiling for co2 regardless of how much light your are running, and with ei everything is supposed to be slightly in excess, so a noon burst shouldnt hit your co2 or nutrients that hard.

if your glosso is growing up it needs more light, and a noon burst is probably better in a new setup, than switching on another lamp or two for your whole photoperiod.

Agreed mate. The problem is that most people do not know if they have sufficient nutrients, CO2 and flow.. This simple fact explains why there are so many tanks with algae.

Cheers,

Back