• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Volcano Pictures

Yeah, those are nice shots. Terrible situation for airplanes, wonderful for plants ultimately. I'd love to try some of that as sediment in a tank, maybe capped with some gravel to keep it from making a mess. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ceg, don't you work in aviation or have I imagined that? What exactly was the risk to the planes, something about glass?

and here's a youtoob vid -

Chris

Coincidence or not but my asthma as returned over the last few weeks since the volcano started, after being dormant for 15 years!! Doctor said there has been an increase in cases similar to mine since the volcano. :(

i went to iceland in april last year and visited most of the waterfalls pictured and also walked on many glaciers that are now under threat including vatnajokull. what an incredible country, if you havent been, you must go. beaches that have soft volcanic black sand are truly wierd! the blue lagoon is amazing as well, all geo thermally heated.

SNAP :D
spot the waterfall!

IMGP5137.jpg

just a couple to share with you....

view from the top of said waterfall
IMGP4913.jpg

more water falls and landscapes. (note the basalt columns in the pic below)
IMGP5007.jpg

IMGP4969.jpg

IMGP4830.jpg

Note my group standing on the rock on the left hand side. shows the pure scale!
IMGP4742.jpg

IMGP4760.jpg

IMGP5191.jpg

IMGP4779.jpg

At the side of the above waterfall was this....

IMGP4783.jpg

who can guess what it is for?

lastly, a shot on the return trip from whale watching where we saw loads of dolphins and some beluga's. unfortunatly on the day we went we couldnt find the killer whales! shame because the saw them on all the other trips that week. but such is life!
IMGP5237.jpg

taken with an old point and shoot camera!

oh sorry for dial up viewers, you going to be sitting there for ages! better put the kettle on eh? :lol:

Very powerful photographic scenes there.

Wonderful photography.

Garuf said:
Ceg, don't you work in aviation or have I imagined that? What exactly was the risk to the planes, something about glass?

I was working on Tornado engines during the first Gulf War. I remember engines coming back to the UK where the turbine blades were coated in glass from melted sand. Once the cooling holes on the blades block up, the blade is burnt out in seconds, resulting in severe engine vibration and a shut down.

The dust/sand can also sand blast all the leading edges of an aircraft, frosting up the canopy and giving zero visibility.

Dave.

Yeah, ash clouds can turn a supersonic airplane into a metal glider in ten seconds flat.

Cheers,

did try a separate thread for this.it's of that damn volcano.

like I say, worth the load times and watch it full screen. The technical abilities in this are just amazing!

Back