• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Riparium (formerly Betta Biotope)

Re: Betta Biotope

Hi all,
ebay seller selling bamboo plants
I had a quick look at these and I'm pretty sure that they aren't Bamboo, but are the seedlings of a "fishtail" palm (Caryota) or similar. Fishtail Palm seedling below:
50348183.JPG

If they are palm seedlings, I've had a similar experience to LondonDragon with them.

cheers Darrel

Darrel, just wanted to say thanks for the C. alternifolius var. gracilis and floaters.

I have put the flowering heads in a shallow pot of water, I am interested to see how this turns out.

I have planted the Cyperus directly into my substrate, I assume this will be ok? This will not be permanent, it will be until my riparium supplies arrive from Hydrophyte.

I think it is safe to say that my biotope idea has gone out of the window!

Pictures soon!

Cheers
Pix

Hey Pixels it looks like you are making great headway with this project. Rooting the flower heads is a great way to propagate those, Cyperus but it will take a while for them to grow into full plants. I think you had already started looking at some of these, but here are reminders for some other good riparium plant selections:

• Pilea cardierei "aluminum plant" (generally sold as houseplant)
  • other Pilea sp.
  • Bacopa sp.
  • various Hygrophila sp.

I think that your box has been five or six days in the post now. I hope that you will see it sometime this week.

My package finally arrived! Thanks Devin, it's all great. The magnetic planter is very nice!

Still needs a lot of work, plants would be step in the right direction!

I might move some of my Juncus repens to this tank, some advice on this plant my be necessary. Then some Bacopa sp. will be probably be added to the trellis and after that I am not sure. It's going to get awfully crowded in there, but I'm optimistic!

Thinking of adding more fauna, I am conscious that it is a very small tank. Shrimp are out, I tried that once and the shrimp didn't win! I could move a pair of Corydoras habrosus from another tank in, but he is a particularily violent fish. Maybe I could just add a Clithon corona? Any ideas?

The planters, two suction, one magnetic
DSC_0002.JPG

Here you can see the empty planters below the water line. You can also see the C. alternifolius var. gracilis that I got from Darrel - This will be moved into one of planters soon
DSC_0002%20%282%29.JPG

The nano trellis
DSC_0003.JPG

I want to improve the light, I think I have just the thing. But it is currently in at my parents house and they live a couple of counties away!

I still have the light from the picture below (it's the only picture I could find). It has two 15 watt T8 tubes in it.

Look at the light, not the tank! It could be two big as that is a 45cm tank?
DSC_0017.JPG

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Cool, I still think a Betta would enjoy the cover in the tank, like an overgrown rice paddy! T

Hey that's looking great Paul. I like both of your plant ideas. Where do you intend to acquire the Juncus and Bacopa? Do you have a substrate in mind for filling the planter cups? Both of those plants would appreciate a nutrient-rich gravel, such as ADA Aquasoil or something comparable. I suspect that new leaves on that Cyperus division will come in a bit smaller and scale better with the whole setup.

That is a tight squeeze and difficult to hide that foam and plastic in there, but you should be able to get some nice emersed plants going. I suppose you'll just have to consider an upgrade to a 120cm tank ;)

Hi TBRO,
I am hoping he appreciates his new surroundings. I really enjoy having a Betta on the desk, he generally sits and watches me while I am on the computer. He seems to like it more with Indian Almond leaves in there.

Hi Devin,
I already have some Juncus repens in my shrimp tank. I bought it to see what it is like, but I didn't really feel it was working in that tank so straight into this one I think. I am assuming it will handle its new life above water ok?

I think I have sourced some Bacopa australis off another member as well.

I plan to plant in some Oli Knott NS, might cap with some Eco-complete as it is a bit heavier? Not sure, but I will definitely add a Tropica capsule to each planter.

I am looking to improve the light as mentioned. I think I am going to copy the ADA arm stands, that way I can attach the single up rigt to the desk... though I might just wimp out and get something like this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00169230

I would love a 120cm tank, but I might not survive my girlfriend. I am only just about getting away with three tanks!

Cheers
Paul

I remembered I had this in the garage, I thought I could add some soil to the bottom and plant some of my Cyperus in it!

10cm or so of soil, some water and bingo!
DSC_0002%20%283%29.JPG

Cheers
Paul

oh dear!

I have been away for over a week and I came back to this! On the plus side, my Cyperus has grown quite a bit.
DSC_0513.JPG

A close of up of the damage - cyanobacteria on the sand
DSC_0512.JPG

Cheers
Paul

how is the cynobacteria doing? I had that in my 70 litre when it was full with water, gave it a 3 day black out and it was fine!

A lot of people with Ripariums get Cyno, I think it's a side effect of the style of tank. I don't know though. A lot of people are quoting poor underwater health/algae which I think is a side effect of no co2 being injected.

They are nice though, How about trying some of the plants from the tropica catalog, most of their stems are suitable and there are many that are recommended for ponds/terrariums. basically if it looks hardy and tough, grows easy and has a easy rating it will probably be fine.

Hi Garuf - The Cyno could still be a bit of an issue based on others experience. It has been removed now, but I have added some wood and moss to the tank and would hate for the Cyno to return. I have upped the flow by adding a second filter, but still pretty minimal due to the inhabitant.

Hi Luke (dr zaius) I found in other tanks with sand that without something to keep the substrate turned over I got a build up of Cyno. But once I added some Corydoras it went. I also found, based only on my experience that it affects sand more. So with that in mind I only have pea gravel in there now.

For as long as the Betta lives I cannot really put much else in there, he seems to be a very violent example of his species. His previous tank was larger and had some C. hasbrosus and shrimp already living in it - After his first day all shrimp were dead and by the end of the week the C. hasbrosus had to be moved to another tank :twisted:

A quick in situ shot, with only one planter occupied
DSC_0515.JPG

Hoping to fill the my two remaining planters soon and hopefully post some full tank shots.

Cheers
Paul

Hi all,
I appreciate that they are not universally popular but MTS are very good at turning the sand over, and probably eating the O.M. that may lead to Cyanobacteria appearing. I always have some along the glass below the substrate, but rarely get any visible BG films in the tanks.
cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel

I have been considerign MTS, as snails seem to be fairly attack proof! I do prefer the sand look and the covering of pea gravel is very thin at the moment as it is all I had to hand.

Off to a BIG garden centre in Dorset this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to lay my hands of plants for the above water part of this tank.

Cheers
Paul

Here we go, some pictures at last.

There is now a single Clithon corona in the tank with the Betta, the snail seems to be doing a good job of keeping the glass clean.

I think I might shorten Houttuynia cordata and replant as it is a bit leggy (right word?) at the moment.

Full tank shot
DSC_0526.JPG

Houttuynia cordata
DSC_0517%20%282%29.JPG

Pilea cadierei
DSC_0519.JPG

You can see Cyperus growing out the top
DSC_0528.JPG

I must admit I am very tempted to lose the planters altogether and just grow Cyperus out the top of the tank. Almost like a glass plant pot with a Betta swimming between the plants.

Cheers
Pix

The moss is a really nice touch, hides the planters nicely in such a small tank. Nice substrate detail. This could almost go EI Natural!

This could almost go EI Natural!
Hi TBRO, I do not add anything to the tank, I try and do a 1/3 water change every two weeks (sometimes three) and just top up the water as it needs it. My only minor gripe is the hard water leaving marks and high levels of evaporation from temp of this tank, I have been slowly reducing the temp, it now stands at 25 degrees. I don't really want to lower the temp any more.

I think you have made a great tank for a betta to live
Hi Krish, It's great, I cannot imagine a better fish to have my desk next to me. I like it when I find him resting on his side, using the moss as a sort of bed.

Oh how I wish I had more room for anabantoids!

Cheers
Paul

Back