• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Deep 130 litre

So are you going to put some more pics up now the tank has had time to settle? All my plants have arrived this morning so my scape is getting closer!

Well whats happened since the initial set up 4 weeks ago;
EQUIPTMENT.
My in line diffuser has arrived, and has been fitted, a straightfoward job fitting. However re starting the eheim syphon,,,,,dont ask.
I also took the opportunity to fit a T piece on the new Installation pipe outlet, so i can now send the CO2 in two directions.

IN_LINE-20DIFFUSER-20001.jpg

web.jpg

PLANTS.
The good news not over run with Algae. There is good growth on the plants,the Blxya has amazed me how well it coped with the move, and is growing the best, A lovely lush green.
The only down side a little BBA on the older crypt leaves. Hopefully the in line diffuser will help.
In addition ive started dosing Easy carbo( half dose to begin with)
Ive been playing around with the filter outlets and Hydor trying to get the best circulation. Its not as easy as i thought it would be. Also fitted a second drop checker, on the other side lower down.
Here are a couple of pictures showing plant growth;
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Thats all for now, thanks for looking.
Alan

Hi,
I love the interplay of the Blyxa against the rocks. Also it was very clever to select the narrow leaf type plants.
It's extremely difficult to get flow/distribution to the far lower reaches of such a tall tank, so you've done well to get Blyxa to respond as happily as it has done. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Really clean and vibrant. Original scaping too. I can see its based on an island composition but to me where all the hardscape and plants are condensed it looks like a 'showcase' of aquatic plants; almost like an aquatic equivalent of a very impressive flower arrangement (hoping that doesn't sound like a bad thing - I like it a lot!). Must be lovely to look at for real?

Have you tried pruning out the old crypt leaves with the algae on?

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
I love the interplay of the Blyxa against the rocks. Also it was very clever to select the narrow leaf type plants.
It's extremely difficult to get flow/distribution to the far lower reaches of such a tall tank, so you've done well to get Blyxa to respond as happily as it has done. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Thank you for those kind words. Yes the Blxya/rocks set up is very pleasing on the eye.

NeilW said:
Really clean and vibrant. Original scaping too. I can see its based on an island composition but to me where all the hardscape and plants are condensed it looks like a 'showcase' of aquatic plants; almost like an aquatic equivalent of a very impressive flower arrangement (hoping that doesn't sound like a bad thing - I like it a lot!). Must be lovely to look at for real?

Have you tried pruning out the old crypt leaves with the algae on?
Cheers Neil, Im just sat enjoying it with a nice cappuccino,[ hiding from the wife.]
Thanks for the suggestion about the crypts, i will start removing the older ones, hopefully it will also stimulate new growth.
Alan.

Looking great :thumbup:
Its defo had a growth spurt since i last saw it, Once the cyrpts at the back fill in a little more it will look excellent!

What livestock do you have in there?

andyh said:
Looking great :thumbup:
Its defo had a growth spurt since i last saw it, Once the cyrpts at the back fill in a little more it will look excellent!

What livestock do you have in there?

Cheers Andy. Here goes.
10 Emperor Tetra {8m 2f]
14 Cardinal Tetra
5 C. Sterbai [3m 2f]
30 Cherry shrimp
4 Crystal red shrimp
6 Armano
3 Chocolate Gourami
1 Otto
There is also 6 more otto, and numeroues CRS and cherry shrimps still to be transferred from my small tank.
My god , it sounds a lot when you sit down and list them.

Well my T5s have gone.
I have seen a couple of tanks with Halides, and the shimmering effect was truly amazing.
I opted for the Arcadia classica 150, that came with their 5200k bulb.

INSTALLATION.
As you can imagine the joists were not in the right place. However eventually after poking numerous holes in the ceiling
i located them, and fixed a short baton. The rest was straightfoward.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Ive positioned the light 18ins above the tank, and reduced the time its on.
Its been up and running for a couple of weeks, and dare i say it so far, no increase in algae.

bigmatt said:
Yum! That looks amazing with the halides! Such a tall tank is crying out for a few angels...but i am a bit of an angel nut!
Cheers!
Matt
Cheers Matt, :thumbup: we speak again.
You could say your purchase of my small set up has helped towards the Halide. :clap:
Talking about Angels, ive visited TGM wrexham several times recently, and their set up with a large shoal of genuine orinoco Altum angels is stunning.

web.jpg

That looks great!! Bet it looks even better in the flesh! :geek: I will find an excuse to get up your way soon.

You aren't helping in my debate as to whether i should get a halide for my new tank!

o_O

saintly said:
looking sweet as a nut. i'd be tempted though, to raise the light a little more.

Good point, since taking the picture the unit has been raised to 18ins.[im not sure really what to go for]
I read a few articles on the height people had them.
Incidentally, what would you suggest as a good starting height

It would but the tanks far too small for altums. Even P scalare would find it a bit cramped I reckon.

Garuf said:
It would but the tanks far too small for altums. Even P scalare would find it a bit cramped I reckon.
Marinehart is a relative, :twisted: who has just set up a 5ft planted tank, and was going for Altums, but backed down. Despite my encouragements. So he is giving me a bit of flack, with my new set up. :lol:

bogwood said:
Incidentally, what would you suggest as a good starting height

if your not suffering any issues regards to algae, you'll be fine where it is. i've had mine 2 foot above the water line and the plants still grew real well. MH penetrates the water better.

andyh said:
Well i visited and the tank looks great ! Certainly helped with my decision regarding lighting.

made a quick HD video:
http://vimeo.com/12122999

Thanks Andy. nice to see it in a video.
I very much like the way the blxya has grown, interesting to see how active the Choc gouramis are, who said they are timid.

Well the dreaded BBA has reared its head. :mad:
Not serious yet, but noticable when you know its there.
web.jpg

Its in two areas, both with poor circulation.
Also on some of the older crypt leaves, the new growth is totally clear.

Initially im removing it , and cutting out the affected leaves.
Also purchased 4 SAE, and one in particular is picking at it. The other 3 have a identity problem, and spend their days shoaling with the Emperor tetras.

To inprove circulation/distribution, upgraded from a nano[which was only temp] to a 2800 hydor.
Also raised the metal halide to 24 ins.
Im dosing Easy carbo slightly more, gone from 2ml to 3ml. in 130ltr of water. Is it safe to up it.?????
Adding 6ml of ADA Brighty, and step 2 daily.
web.jpg

Back