• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

andyh

Hey guys if you want to avoid all the pre-amble, planning head scratching etc, the tank actually starts half way down page 9. :thumbup:

Greetings,

After lots of consideration and planning i will be setting up a new aquascape in my lounge! It does mean my other tanks will be going but we are having our first baby in july and we need the space in the kitchen, so instead my being really sensible and reducing my tanks to a minimum i am loosing two small ones and getting one big one. o_O :shh:

I will be selling a load of kit over the coming weeks so watch UKAPS for it. (60cm Optiwhite tank, made by Aquariums Ltd and an Arcadia 4 xt5 lumiaire etc.)

So today, i went to The Green Machine and ordered a 90cmx45cmx45cm, Opti-white brace-less tank and ADA styled cabinet. My challenge had been to match it to my lounge furniture so Jim had very kindly sent wood samples in the post so i could get a good match. I even made some special requests on the cabinet which Jim was more than happy to accommodate. Thanks to StuWorral who was there today for all his advice as well!

The tough bit now is waiting.......... Been quoted 2-3 week delivery so not to bad, but it means i have got time to get my other tanks stripped down and get the equipment ready. Then there is the planning as this in my lounge its got to look good and be installed very well, i am already planning equipment locations, wiring, timers etc.

Equipment
90x45x45 tank = 190l
Eheim 1200lph external filter
Eheim 700lp external Thermo filter combined gives me 1900lph
Lights - Not sure here, keep changing my mind really tempted to go Metal Halide 150w (ADA Solar, Arcadia or Aquamedic) or a 4 x T5 39w?? Help :geek:
Using pressurised Co2 with inline diffusers from my current setups, is it worth running two bottles as i have them so i could run on both filters?

Substrate
ADA Amazonia and Powersand, some from my current tanks mixed with a couple of new bags.

I still dont have a definitive plan on the tank design yet, but some sort of "Island Design" with wood is the plan so far.

Would welcome comments on the light front! Come on boys or girls with MH are they any good?

Will try and keep a full journal going, but I suspect it may a be a challenge once the baby arrives in July :thumbup:

thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Andyh's New 170l Lounge tank

sounds good!

if your stuck for lighting i have an arcadia luminaire for sale. but its 3x 36w T8's but im willing to accept a good offer as i just want to get rid of it

good luck

Tom, thanks for the offer but i am looking for a high light level setup i.e 4 x t5 or mh150w

Hey Andy, congratulations on the baby news :thumbup:

I'm very jealous of the tank, it sounds great. I like the dimensions. the width will be fab!

2 bottles on the co2 would be my choice, but I haven't got any experience, it seems a good way to get the distribution sorted.

and if I had the money I'd go with the ADA solar but again I have no experience of them. I just want one :lol:

Chris

Congratulations on both counts.. Do you think you'll have time for your hobby when you join the likes of me in the sleepless nights brigade??? :). Most of my illiterate late night posts are written while cuddling a small child to sleep.

Hi Andy,

Congrats on the baby front and I come with hopeful news on the tank front....... I had my order for a 60x45x45 opt-white with The Green Machine delivered to me within a 10 days! Great service from Jim and Mark! So hopefully you wont have to wait to long! :D

Also I have one of The Green Machines 90x45x45 tanks and they are great...... :thumbup: GOOD CHOICE!
I have an Arcadia 4x T5 luminarie on my tank (newer style) and have grown plants to great effect inc HC and Glosso and style wise it looks swish 8) .

As for scape wise an island would look great! However I'm just rescaping my tank 90x45x45 tank now and have gone for a valley scape, sand, ADA soil graded gravels......etc and am well happy with it. With this tank size you can pull off spectacular scapes! As I'm sure yours will be ;)

Really looking forward to reading through this journal, as I've gained so much knowledge and inspiration reading through your other ones! :thumbup:

Cheers Ben

chump54 said:
Hey Andy, congratulations on the baby news :thumbup:
I'm very jealous of the tank, it sounds great. I like the dimensions. the width will be fab!
2 bottles on the co2 would be my choice, but I haven't got any experience, it seems a good way to get the distribution sorted.
and if I had the money I'd go with the ADA solar but again I have no experience of them. I just want one :lol:
Chris

Thanks Chris, i am v excited about the baby!
Yes it will be great for me having a larger to tank to play with as my biggest is currently 57l and its only 11" tall.
Think i will run both CO2 will be make for good distribution!
Yes the ADA solar is a thing of beauty and the boys at TGM have sorted out decent european ballasts now :thumbup:
Ajm200 said:
Congratulations on both counts.. Do you think you'll have time for your hobby when you join the likes of me in the sleepless nights brigade??? :). Most of my illiterate late night posts are written while cuddling a small child to sleep.
Cheers, yes a few people have suggested that i am going to be kept busy by the baby! But i am positive i will find time to keep a tank running!
B7fec said:
Hi Andy,
Congrats on the baby front and I come with hopeful news on the tank front....... I had my order for a 60x45x45 opt-white with The Green Machine delivered to me within a 10 days! Great service from Jim and Mark! So hopefully you wont have to wait to long! :D
Also I have one of The Green Machines 90x45x45 tanks and they are great...... :thumbup: GOOD CHOICE!
I have an Arcadia 4x T5 luminarie on my tank (newer style) and have grown plants to great effect inc HC and Glosso and style wise it looks swish 8) .
As for scape wise an island would look great! However I'm just rescaping my tank 90x45x45 tank now and have gone for a valley scape, sand, ADA soil graded gravels......etc and am well happy with it. With this tank size you can pull off spectacular scapes! As I'm sure yours will be ;)
Really looking forward to reading through this journal, as I've gained so much knowledge and inspiration reading through your other ones! :thumbup:
Cheers Ben
Thanks Ben! Yes Jim did suggest that the tank could be there sooner! I am rubbish at waiting for things so i hope its not to long? I to have an Arcadia T5 luminarie but its on my 60l and its great, but i have drawn like a child in a sweety shop to the MH's !! The shimmer is stunning, and seems to add a new dimension to the tank.
Thanks for your comments about my journals, i am really glad to hear that you have gained from them, i had never done journals b4 joining UKAPS; its turned into something i really enjoy. :thumbup:
samc said:
sounds a great setup andy :thumbup:
i would personally go with a MH from my experience with them, they are much better than flouresent
Sam, your one of the culprits ! your tank has had a strong influence on me, it looks so good!! (was that yours in PFK this month? If so well done it looked great!) :thumbup:

samc said:
andyh said:
was that yours in PFK this month? If so well done it looked great!) :thumbup:
thanks mate. i didnt know it was out yet :wideyed: :oops: i have not actually seen it yet as i am not subscribed :(

Yeah it is mine arrived on saturday, get yourself a subscription!
Can i ask a favour any chance you could take a couple of pics/do you have any? I have never seen the aquamedic MH in the flesh, how do you rate it? o_O

andyh said:
Can i ask a favour any chance you could take a couple of pics/do you have any? I have never seen the aquamedic MH in the flesh, how do you rate it? o_O

i dont have any, but i can take a few for you. i quite like the design of it. its pretty simple really, but not as small as the ADA unit.

on the other hand they are very cheap on ebay. i picked mine up for £35 :D

Andy it has to be the ADA halide for the new set up, I have run halides on my reef tank and the effect of shimmering is simply stunning!!! Get it bought!

Cheers
Nick

Nick Thanks for your concise and reasoned debate as to why i should part with a big wedge on a light!

I have to admit its tempting!

A

Well the boys at TGM have come up good, just had a message to say my Opti-white and Cabinet will be in on Thursday! NOT EXCITED! :lol: :lol: :D :clap: 10 day turnaround on a custom tank and cabinet is great. :clap: Hoping to collect on saturday so should have some pictures up at the weekend.

Suppose i should make a decision on my lights soon o_O

10 days turn around!? Does the silicone even have time to set in that long?!

George Farmer said:
andyh said:
Suppose i should make a decision on my lights soon o_O
If you can afford it, halide, IMO.
IMO your right!
stuworrall said:
ill go with halide too but then you already knew that andy :)
Good show on the tank being ready so quick. looking forward to seeing the pics
Yes Mr Worrall, i have worked out that you secretly are in love with your ADA MH and sit late at night once the family has gone to bed worshipping/drooling over it in your ADA pants! :lol: ;) (p.s nice to meet your family the other weekend! :D )
bogwood said:
Andy, when we collect your tank/cabinet this weekend, to save on fuel etc, why not get your ADA HALIDE, and matching stand. :twisted:
Cheers,
:twisted:
Talk about peer pressure! :woot: your good at spending my money!
Garuf said:
10 days turn around!? Does the silicone even have time to set in that long?!
Garuf, good point wet lounge floor wouldn't be good! But i have every faith in the TGM boys i am sure they will advise. Anyway the tank probaly wont see any water for at least 2 weeks. Lots of tinkering to do before that :geek:
stuworrall said:
EDIT, have you ordered a new light stand Andy :thumbup:
No think if i go MH will suspend from the ceiling, My dad has very kindly offered to sort this as he has done several before! :thumbup:

Back