• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tripod Help

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 804RC2 head.

Its a great bit of kit totally bomb proof and built to last, highly recommended.

As for the ball head, I don't like then myself, but then again haven't used a quality unit like a manfrotto only cheaper ones and the couldn't take the weight of the 5d plus 20-70 never mind the 70-200!

Once you get used to how the 804RC2 works its quite instinctive but takes a wee bit of getting used to. I found that with the ball head I couldn't get a level horizon to save myself but with this its a lot easier as you can make adjustments one one plane without messing up everything else.

cant check the ebay link as in work but id say try out a 190 and 055 if you can. Im only 5 foot 7 but would like the change my 190 in the future for the 055 to get the extra height. its worth getting pro versions as well as youll love the foam wrap around the top when its -5 degrees outside and youre carrying it without gloves (check with Dan to confirm that one :lol: ) I also prefer ball heads. Ive got a 488RC2 on mine

murph said:
I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 804RC2 head.

Its a great bit of kit totally bomb proof and built to last, highly recommended.

As for the ball head, I don't like then myself, but then again haven't used a quality unit like a manfrotto only cheaper ones and the couldn't take the weight of the 5d plus 20-70 never mind the 70-200!

Once you get used to how the 804RC2 works its quite instinctive but takes a wee bit of getting used to. I found that with the ball head I couldn't get a level horizon to save myself but with this its a lot easier as you can make adjustments one one plane without messing up everything else.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MANFROTTO-055 ... 2ead0b9ef4

That setup is this thing above right, hmmmm, not too expensive either.

with video in mind I bought a libec ls22 DV tripod. The fluid head is amazing!

I use my old tripod for photography stuff as the video head doesn't do portrait.

I hope I don't upset anyone by recommending these products (Chinese clones) but the price is amazing for what you are getting. You get £600 worth of equipment for £300.

I would spend as much as you can afford on a tripod. If you buy cheap you'll buy twice.

Questions you need to ask are

1. do you need it to be compact? [2 section, 3 section, 4 section legs]
2. do you plan to carry it around a lot? [aluminum or carbon fibre]
3. how much weight do you plan to support? [remember you may get a bigger lens or camera one day]

Tripod 101 by Thom Hogan Ok so he's a serious professional and may spend more than some can afford but the principals still apply.

I have a carbon fibre gitzo and its light yet rock solid. I do a bit of landscape photography so need to carry it on my back. My father and did a photo trip together and he need a good quality tripod but something a bit cheaper. Thats when I came across Benro tripods. Basically this Chinese firm appears to have cloned the Gitzo design and manufactured it for a knock down price. I must confess that buying one had me feeling a little uneasy as it's a clone. Ok so your not buying a Gitzo branded copy but your basically getting a Gitzo tripod.

The quality of the Benro was excellent, almost the same as my Gitzo but better in that it was a copy of the latest Gitzo models and mine was older. It was also hundreds of pounds cheaper.

here is an ebay link for the tripods

benro_ks-0_benro_c128.jpg

I'd also recommend a ball head if you do landscape photography. Kirk do excellent heads but the Chinese have made some excellent clones.

28132.jpg

Here is a mini review from a fellow photographer

not good for photography...unless you don't shoot 'portrait'

but for SLR video users, this thing's pan and tilt is comparable to £1000+ tripods

tripod.jpg

my 5Dmk2 looks tiny on it :lol:

Back