• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap safe and water changes

murph

I've recently, partially, planted my tank with more plants on the way.

I have been doing 50% water changes the last few days.

Should I be using tapsafe(or equivilent) during these changes? In a 260l tank this getting pretty expensive!

murph said:
Should I be using tapsafe(or equivilent) during these changes? In a 260l tank this getting pretty expensive!

Yes you should! Try Seachem Prime - 1ml per 40lts of Tap water changed,

Cheers Steve

use pond stuff, so much cheaper. 1ml per 75L.

when i change 250L from my 4x2x2 i normally add 2-3mls.

only my old 240L i didnt even bother with it.

sjb123 said:
murph said:

Yes you should! Try Seachem Prime - 1ml per 40lts of Tap water changed,

Cheers Steve

Might be worth getting an online report from your Water Board - if they don't add chloramine (like mine) you can use Seachem Chlorguard instead of Prime - it's a bit cheaper. Good thing with Seachem is they give you an equation that lets you calculate the minimum dosage required for your level of Chlorine/chloramine (you can get this in the same Water Board report). If the source water is really clean so the water board doesn't use much chlorine (again, like mine :thumbup: ), then it becomes even cheaper!

Me and my mate have had long deep and meaningful chats about tap safe/ Stress coat! He works in a big chain fish shop and said he has to sell tap safe/ stress coat, but said you do not see people throwing bottle and bottle of the stuff in amazon/ or other river!
The previous post about getting a report from the water board is very good advice! if you have good water to start i do not see the point!

I live in north Ayrshire so I would expect the water to be relatively decent, soft etc. I tried to look up the water boards website but it didn't seem to be mac compatable!

I've been using interpet pond stuff, 15 for 100liters or so.

I don't want to set my filter back any as it's just starting to hold it's own with the batceria.

murph said:
I live in north Ayrshire so I would expect the water to be relatively decent, soft etc. I tried to look up the water boards website but it didn't seem to be mac compatable!

I've been using interpet pond stuff, 15 for 100liters or so.

I don't want to set my filter back any as it's just starting to hold it's own with the batceria.

15ml for 100 litres! that is rubbish. my kockney koi stuff is 1ml per 75 litres!
and a 500ml bottle is about £9

Back