• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi by Tekla

tekla

Hello
My first setup with "small" help of one forum member-thanks Alzak :)
Equipment:
60l AquaOne Tank with stand, 60cm long x 35cm tall x 30cm deep
Hydor external heater 300W
Light 3 x 24w T5's

Plants:
Rotala Green
Rotala Wallichii
Hemiantus Cuba
P.helferi
Echinodorus tenellus

Substrate:
Flora Base black 10l

Hardscape:
Seiryu Stone 6kg

Fertilisers:
TPN+ 3ml every 2 days
EasyCarbo 2ml/day

tek7908.jpg

tek7912.jpg

tek7921.jpg

tek7935.jpg

Thanks for looking
Tekla

Hi,
75W of T5 over a 15 gallon tank is really too much, especially if you are not injecting gas.

Cheers,

OK here we go. First problem in my fishtank. My Echinodorus tenellus looks very bad. Its brown, thin an leaves snaps easily. Anybody knows what is wrong? Fert dosing TPN+ 3ml/day, EasyCarbo 3ml/day, light 2xT5.
tek8275.jpg

Hi Tekla,
-There is intensive lighting.This is one major cause.
-Providing nitrate and phosphate from substrate where Echinodorus tenellus are,should help to solve the problem.

Regards

ilaymir

saintly said:
tekla said:
My Echinodorus tenellus looks very bad.

that's how it should look! people pray for this red colouring.

Exactly!! Id say it may be the lean dosing from the TPN that may be helping here as well with the redness, your doing something right anyhow, no algae in sight so I wouldnt worry about it, let it grow!

A red faced person can be considered healthy.But a red face is the sign of a illness most of the time.(Like when you have a fever)
-Some Echinodorus tenellus (E T) species growing in aquarium can be dark green or brownish.But these ET's are very sick and they will die if it goes on like this.
-It's cause and treatment is in my post above.

Regards

ilaymir

ilaymir said:
Some Echinodorus tenellus (E T) species growing in aquarium can be dark green or brownish.But these ET's are very sick and they will die if it goes on like this.

this is sick yes, but red in tenellus does not mean sick. unless Aquajournal vol.116 page 14 is saying something else? :D

In my opinion they look just fine. There is some new healthy growth and some tennelus melting after the planting is normal. And red tennelus leaves are completely normal too.
regards,
fandango

red tennellus is the one when the plant feels good in your tank.
not sure what't happened with yours. but tenellus loves the bottom fert at least that's my experience. would add in some bottom fert capsule. plants will regenerate itself quickly.

-The micro leaf variety of E. tenellus which becomes dark green and reddish/maroon in brighter light.
http://atlas.drpez.org/tenellus/aac
-But there is fertilization deficiency here with intense lighting.If nitrate and phosphate the plants need
is given from substrate plus rich CO2 levels provided,their colour may come to normal.

Regards

ilaymir

My guess is the redness is caused by high light in combination with a nitrogen deficiency.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that this brings about red in some plants. I remember a previous winner of the IAPLC having red Rotala nanjenshan (it's usually green); some say this was the cause.

gpworks06.jpg

For some the red is desirable, but it can be a fine line between a nice red colouration, and starving the plant to its detriment.

Or I could be talking nonsense!

Back