• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fert recipe

Nick16

i have bought some TPN by mistake and should have got the TPN+.

what ferts and amounts do i need to make up the soloution to get the stuff im missing from the TPN+?

i have ferts kicking around the home, so fingers crossed i have the stuff already here!

cheers

Nick16 said:
i have bought some TPN by mistake and should have got the TPN+.

what ferts and amounts do i need to make up the soloution to get the stuff im missing from the TPN+?

i have ferts kicking around the home, so fingers crossed i have the stuff already here!

cheers

Nick

According to the tropica book TPN does not contain and Nitrogen or phosphorus - so you could call it a trace mix where TPN+ does contain the above - you need to put N&K into the TPN - sorted.

Regards
Paul.

so i need to put nitrogen and phosphorus in the tank? are you sure, when below you say N&K (K being postassium if im not mistaken)

at the moment i have in my fish box

Magnesium Sulphate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron Sulphate
Potassium Sulphate
'Trace Mix'
Potassium Phosphate

what should i be adding?

cheers

The parts you are missing are the Nitrogen and Phosphorus which can be added in the form of potassium nitrate and potassium phophate.

For a standard dose of TPN+ of 5ml per 50 litres you add the equivalent of 5.9ppm nitrate and 0.31ppm phosphate. So if you wished to make up a separate solution then do the following:

48g Potassium Nitrate
2.2g Potassium Phosphate
500ml Water

Adding the same amount of this solution as your TPN would add the same amounts of N and P that are missing compared to TPN+

Personally I might be inclined to add more phosphate as the TPN+ is a bit lean. Doulbling or tripling the amount of potassium phosphate may do wonders.

James

I add 2:1 KNO3: KH2PO4 by volume

For every 3 NO3, I have 1 PO4 roughly.

This drives NH4 uptake higher (I suppose) from fish waste production if there's plenty of PO4 around, also reduces GSA and just seems to make the tank overall look better. Mild PO4 limitation and general fear is likely why the folks tend to be so godawful timid with PO4.

Even when provided with decades worth of nice examples........a good myth and fear is still quite difficult to kill.

Regards,
Tom Barr

il give it a shot then. i have some nice digital scales so i rekon i can get faily accurate.

im up for trying something new so i will wack up the phosphate and see what happens.

cheers for all your help guys. much appreciated.

plantbrain said:
I add 2:1 KNO3: KH2PO4 by volume

Not that another example of upping phosphates is needed, but here is one anway :lol:
I add 1:1 KNO3: KH2PO4 by volume, and get good results with the same observations that Tom noted.

Back