• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Sorry, I couldn't stand looking at that goofy pink hue. Retouched it a little to get better detail.
Dropchecker looks blue. Is that just an illusion or was that whet you were complaining about?
Also, what is that black box to the left of the dropchecker? Is it a Flight Data Recorder?

2715195270038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

The Tubes are Arcadia Plant pros.
The drop checker is lime green.

I have added some more flow. Pump wise I am running 15,000 ltrs an hour. What actual flow I have is unsure but I can say its a lot.
Every plant has movement in the tank . Hopefully I will see a Co2 improvement on the plants right at the front of the tank.
This is the area that is struggling. If you think about it from when the water leaves the spray bar it has to travel nearly 4 ft to get there. Had not thought about that before.

Simon

If you think about it from when the water leaves the spray bar it has to travel nearly 4 ft to get there. Had not thought about that before.

Thing is I compare your tank with my old one which was one foot longer but otherwise the same dimensions. I used a few canister filters and no sump. the spray bars were on the back, but these were the canister filter spray bars, not excellent DIY you have.

I never had BBA, i had hair algae on the moss for a while (the long silky stuff that can easily be pulled out), but after a while that went. Only issue I had with Algae was GSA.

I know no two tanks are the same even if they had exactly the same equipment, but my feeling is that it is not your set up with in the tank, but somewhere sumpwise.

I am still looking at ways to seal the sump. Until I stop air entering the sump via the weirs then there is no point.
Anyway I have bitten the bullet and singed up for the rental on a 44kg Co2 bottle.Not that dear in reality . The main reason was the trips to get the 6,5kg ones filled is over a gallon of fuel in the van every time so it will be cheaper in the long run. Now just need to find somewhere to put the beast and get it to that spot.
Lots of fine tuning needed but I can see the actions of the things I do now.

Simon

Wow 44kg sounds huge! the height of my cabinet was determined by my 5kg canisters and then Clive was on about me getting a single 25kg :wideyed: . now you have a big daddy, prolly the biggest on the forum. :wideyed: :wideyed:

Can i ask, with the contract do they require a minimum volume or £ that you contract for? I will have to up the co2 in my new set up but in the last one only changed every few months. Dont mind if it goes down to 2 or 3, but dont fancy every other week.

simon have u just tried taping up your sump not pretty but fast and cheap youd be surprised at the difference, i was and if it works you can diy a better method if not only lost a bit of tape and 20 minutes time

sanj said:
Wow 44kg sounds huge! the height of my cabinet was determined by my 5kg canisters and then Clive was on about me getting a single 25kg :wideyed: . now you have a big daddy, prolly the biggest on the forum. :wideyed: :wideyed:

Can i ask, with the contract do they require a minimum volume or £ that you contract for? I will have to up the co2 in my new set up but in the last one only changed every few months. Don't mind if it goes down to 2 or 3, but don't fancy every other week.

Rental was £38 per year, and refill £35 I think. There were no terms at all, as much or as little as you like. :thumbup:
Just had to buy a trolley to move it round though. :lol:

Pictured next to a 6.25kg bottle.
SG1L2813Medium.jpg

LondonDragon said:
Damn that 44kg would last just over 7 years in my tank! haha

Tank is coming along great, a great achievement :) congrats

Thanks.
If it lasts 7 months I would be happy :thumbup: Its just plant mayhem at the moment. Bit like my life.

I am going to try covering the viewable glass on the tank throughout the day time as its getting a lot of sun on it at the moment.( can cure that with some blinds on the window if it helps) Will see if that helps on the Algae front. Its all a big learning curve at the moment but I am loving every minute of it.

Simon

Clive (ceg) had his tank in a room that had plenty of light, if you have enough CO2 and ferts then you will be fine without the blinds, you might just need to clean the front glass more often.

LondonDragon said:
Clive (ceg) had his tank in a room that had plenty of light, if you have enough CO2 and ferts then you will be fine without the blinds, you might just need to clean the front glass more often.

At the moment I am just thinking that I want to try and keep it under control a bit ,until I have more understanding of what's going on and how to make adjustments to correct it.Hopefully reducing the direct sunlight will give me a bit of control back . Dose that make sense or is it total rubbish.

Simon

Always Broke said:
Rental was £38 per year, and refill £35 I think. There were no terms at all, as much or as little as you like. :thumbup:

as much as you like eh? is that like 100kg and beyond then? that's cheap.

my boc account can only go up to 36 KG bottles £21 refilled @ 68 for rental.

Just thought I would update things a bit.
Everything seams to be going fine. All the plants are doing great. The ones that were strugling have picked up now and are growing away.
I had to increase the EI dosing quantity's a bit but I did that by simply increasing the amount of time the dosing pump is running. I have made some small adjustments to the water flow and Co2 distribution to remove a few spots that were struggling. I did that by running a couple of small 12mm hoses from the top of my 40mm spraybar and directed them to the dead spots. I am also running two return pumps as well. An Aquamax 10,000 ltr hour and an Aquamax 5000 ltr hour pump. They both feed the same spray bar. Co2 is injected into the 5000 pump via a Ceramic air stone in its inlet port.
I am running on the Big Co2 bottle now.
Very little algae of any sort at the moment . I added some fish last weekend , all algae eating ones and they seam to be doing fine.
We fitted some blinds to the windows to reduce some of the direct sunlight and that helped on the algae front no end.
Water changes are at 2 per week at the moment as opposed to the 3 previously.The lighting period is also increased from 6 to 7 hours running all 8 tubes.
Everything seams to be going fine at the moment thanks to all your help, especially Clive.
Will update with some pictures soon
Regards
Simon

Back