• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange Holes Forming in a certain plant

ukco2guy

Hi,

Apologies in advance as i am unsure as to the name of this plant but after 3 weeks of them being planted (i have two in total) they have literally overnight started to form holes on pretty much most of the leaves, can anyone point me in the right direction with what is/might be causing this? All my other plants seem fine and are growing at a good rate.

Cheers,

Hi,

By any chance do you know the name of this plant? I have a Eheim 2224 turning up tomorrow so flow should be better, as for co2 i`m watching a full rig with ph controller so hopefully i can move away from the tetra kit asap. In the mean time i`ll have to live with this and pick the plants a little wiser :)

Cheers,

Ph controller, ducks and covers! A 2224 is a pretty feable filter, I had one on a 45x30x30 tank and it struggled to keep everything going but I was running high light. At a theoretical 700lph you can only really use it on it's own on a 70l tank, what size tank are you using?

Looks like it could be one of the many variants of Hygrophila, but really I'm not sure at all.
You would be best served to disable the controlling function of the controller for now and just use it to monitor pH. Set a constant injection rate and carry on.

Cheers,

@ Garuf- Tank is 49g/185 litres. Which model would you recommend, if needs be i can sell this one on if it`s really that weak. Also would it be worth keeping the current fluval 4+ in there but acting as a pump once the new filter is migrated?

@ ceg4048 - Sure, i may not get the full kit but for now a pressurised setup is the only way forward i think, overnight cut off also a must. I presume once that`s on board ferts are next on the menu?

Cheers for the responses guys,

Hi,

Well i got a co2 kit today, just waiting for it to be delivered, please take a look if you have time, are their any tips with setup at all? I presume i`ll need to get the co2 level up asap, should this be gradually as i`m not sure of my kh level.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 862wt_1137

Cheers,

Hi all,
Looking at the damage it looks like it may be feeding damage by a fish or snail. It looks like something has got at the mesophyll layer (where the chloroplasts are) under the epidermis. Aquatic caterpillars of the Chinamark moths do exactly that, but they aren't really an option here http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1348.
Do you have a Bristlenose catfish?

cheers Darrel

Hiya,

Yeah i have 5 bristlenoses in there, some small, some large, they are normally pretty good with leaves and tend not to damage thembut they could be, i`ll keep a close eye on them. Their is another candidate, i have a pair of American Flag Fish and i`ve noticed that recently the female is eating alot of my Wysteria, wondering if she is eating these ones as well.

Cheers,

Ok i`ll keep a close eye on the plecos and see if they are feasting on them. CO2 kit arrived today and it looks brand new, i need to get a KH test done before and after i introduce it. Is their anything i need to check first before i assemble and install the co2 kit? It`s a Bioplast Profi-set, i have the manual and all looks straight forward but it`s my first co2 kit so just want to make sure before i set it up.

Cheers,

Update:

I have installed the co2 kit yesterday and it is set to 1b/sec. Just before this was switched on i measured ph at 8 and kh at 170ml/g which according to a co2 calculator was 2.6ppm. This has been running a full day (but off overnight with the solenoid) and taking a reading 6hrs after being on today and i can see PH@7.4 KH@140ml/g which according to a co2 calculator shows as 9.36ppm. Does this seem ok, should i be doing anything else? i`m going to watch closely to keep an eye on the ph. I`m waiting for some 4dhk water to arrive as at the moment i can`t use my dropchecker.

Cheers,

Point taken :) The 4DKH water arrived this morning and it`s been setup in the Drop Checker, i`ll see how it`s looking when i get home later on. I also need to get my head around ferts, i`ll open a new thread in the relevant section as being new to this i`ll need some help but in the mean time i`ll wade my way through the EI guides.

Cheers,

Update on the holes. After my recent issues with pin holes i am still getting them. I have made alot of changes in relation to the co2 and flow (alot more flow and better direction) and culled most of my sword leaves as they were all affected. My co2 cylinder is due to be refilled as it`s just dropped to 20bar but temps are 30c at the moment (yup it`s actually fairly hot in the uk for once). My question is that i`ve always had very little surface agitation but after reading around the forums it seems that i should have a good amount of agitation, not too much so that it splashes or forms white peaks on top of the waves but would it be beneficial for me to angle the spray bar up more to give more agitation? Would this also help reduce temps as well?

Cheers,

Hi,
As I recall, Darrel mentioned that the damage in the photo appeared to be due to predation by catfish. Have you verified this? It could be happening at night so you need a means of eliminating this as a possibility.

Check this thread which shows an image of the correct spraybar orientation, an image of what decent surface agitation ought to look like and images showing the proper proximity of the spraybar to the waters surface; http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3827

If you can eliminate predation as a possibility then you'll need to increase the injection rate.

I don't think there's a good way to reduce temperatures long term unless you have a strong fan. In really hot countries with no air conditioning I used the reefers solution of a cheap small mini-fridge drilled on the sides with holes in which I would pass tubing from the tank and back out. Hardly worth the effort for only a few days though.

You can always reduce the lighting during the hottest part of the day.

Cheers,

Back