• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Internal Filter Advice

MandrakePOE

Seedling
Hi Guys,

I recently bought an Arcadia Arc 35L tank that came with a Classic Power Bio 200 internal filter (200l/h). I have read conflicting reports about filtration and particularly flow rates so could really do with some advice on wether this filter is adequate for my needs and if not, what is?

The reasoning below is just compiled from what I have read elsewhere, so totally open to discussion...

Reasons to upgrade:

- 200/h is below the magically 350l/h (10times tank volume)

- Tank might cycle quicker (cycling time might be an issue with Amazonia II)

Reasons not to:

- Small compact size, anything more powerful is just too big for a tank this size and I can't go hangon or external.

- A high flow rater would reduce CO2 levels in the tank (according to a my LFS)

For reference the [planned] specs of my tank are as follows:

Tank: Arcadia Arc 35L
Lightining: 2 x Arcadia Arc Pod 11W
Heater: Aquael Neoheater
Filtration: Classic Power Bio 200 internal filter (200l/h)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia II
Flora: HC 'Cuba', Dwarf Haircrass & Christmas Moss
Fauna: 3-6 Crystal Red Shrimp initiall, longer term more CRS and a couple of Ottos
CO2: Seachem Flourish Excel
Fertiliser@ N/A

Hi. I bought an Arcadia Arc 20l and found the internal filter to be woefully inadequate. The flow was non-existant around the tank even in the early days, and when the plant biomass grew it caused problems. I now use a Fluval 105, which is great. I am currently using this filter http://www.ferplast.com/blumodular_eng.php, the 02 model in my 24"x24" and find it more than adequate even in such a comparatively large tank. It also comes with a spray bar which is very handy. It is quite big though, I wouldn't use it in my 20l arc, I'm not sure how it would look in the 35l though.

Back