• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sams 12x8x10 opti nano (DIY lilies)

Re: sams 12x8x10 opti nano

samc said:
i have heard that bullosa can get pretty big so you might have to be carefull. but its a slow grower, thats why i used it.

it's a stunning crypt. mines looking great. not so slow in my set up and the leaves resemble wendeti 'tropica'

I'm intrigued to know how big it well get.

i bought some perspex tubing from the ebay shop the other day and was suprised when i came the next day (yesterday)

so i spent a couple of hours making my lily pipes for this. i did try widening the end but could'nt do it as the only way would have been to stretch it over a cone shape, i could'nt find anything the right size to left it as it is. they are similar to the ADA nano ones. but not custom like these 8)

dsc03961o.jpg

dsc03962n.jpg

dsc03963v.jpg

dsc03968w.jpg

for the inlet, i heated a pin and made loads of small holes. i would have cut slits but the baby shrimp would get sucked up. i also cut a small sponge for the bottom as i didnt want to seal it up as it would be a pain for cleaning.

saintly said:
you beauty! how much for a set then?

:lol: thanks mark. i would make some for the price of materials. i quite enjoy it. only problem is finding something to put inside them, for bending. the outlet it 12mm and the inlet is 15mm. i found a good pipe for the 12mm but the 15mm was hard to find. i had to take a while for that.

The tank's looking very good Sam! What kind of pipe did you put inside the acrylic tube for the bend? I'm going to have a go at making some lilies so I'd appreciate any tips you've got!

Thanks,
Alistair

Posted with TouchBB on my iPod touch

thanks very much folks! :thumbup:

alip01 said:
The tank's looking very good Sam! What kind of pipe did you put inside the acrylic tube for the bend? I'm going to have a go at making some lilies so I'd appreciate any tips you've got!

the pipe i used for inside the acrylic was fuel pipe. not cheap or very common in the household though. i found it my dads workshop as he's a mechanic.

this is the stuff: http://www.espares.co.uk/part/lawnm...&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+base

i had lots of sizes to choose from. they were just right for the job as they dont kink when bent, but you can get it out of the pipe after is bent. and it does'nt melt when heated.

when bending, i would suggest heating the outside of the bend more as it will have to stretch more than the inside. if the inside is heated too much it will crease.

hope that helps.

Hi Sam, thanks for the advice on what pipe to use when bending the acrylic - much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing this scape develop as it's got good potential!

Back