• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming' @ 2 months

russchilds said:
Looks amazing!!!! Great video!!! :D :D

thanks mate. The tank is untidy and needs a 'sort out' but you get the jist of whats going on.

now the fun part resumes...keeping everything in check.

Tonser said:
Love the video Mark - really brings it all to life. The growth on your Bolbitis is amazing in just a couple of months, and super clean too.

cheers mate. I'd best be on the top of my game with your latest masterpiece looming. :D

the bolbitis is currently the fastest grower. A consistent barrage of new leaves.

In the vid, your seeing a mid and background which has recently been butchered and foreground which needs trimming so bare that in mind :oops:

As George knows me pretty well now, he's right about me chomping at the bit, waiting to do my next scape. Man it's hard waiting :twisted:

The next tank, I'm not using any hardscape :shh:

saintly said:
I'd best be on the top of my game with your latest masterpiece looming. :D

Haha :lol: I'm not sure it'll ever be a masterpiece, and besides its taken me 15 months to get the optiwhite how I want it, so you'll probably have another 3 or 4 tanks done before mine is anything special :lol:

saintly said:
The next tank, I'm not using any hardscape

Normally I'd urge you to stick with it and let this scape mature, but I want to see the next one now :)

Tony

Tonser said:
but I want to see the next one now :)
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

dont tempt me! :lol:

I'm pretty happy with this. so I'll see it through. The crypts are only just starting to look nice. it'd be a shame to destroy it now.

Also, I reckon, even when the stems are finished, I could cut them out and the tank would still look ok. 2 tanks in 1

viktorlantos said:
OMG this video is amazing!

thanks viktor. Although I think it's a bit 'average'

As i mentioned before today was trim time. The HC has been flattened. It did look terrible and was putting me off looking at it.

i've also trimmed liliaopsis to some degree and runners of teres. It still needs to fill in around the rocks a little and when it does, I want definitive lines where it meets the stones :D

The odd bolbitis leaf has gone along with some teres runners which were coming through from the back.

The pics are a tad dark, but then it's only maintenance info.

hc-3.jpg

hc-trim-3.jpg

Looking good mate.

Have you considered pruning the HC right back to the substrate-line against the front glass, so it gets gradually taller towards the rear? No rush for this, of course, but something to think about for the future, especially for FTS when wanting to show the 'scape off a little better. This adds a further sense of depth to the HC, which can look a little 'flat' when compared to the relatively complex shapes and textures in the remaining 'scape.

I re-call discussing this with you when we covered your display tank at your local MA a while back... ;)

Keep up the great work!

saintly said:
The HC worries me.
In what way, Mark? In terms of maintenance or its role in the aquascape design?

George Farmer said:
I re-call discussing this with you when we covered your display tank at your local MA a while back... ;)

I remember mate. I'll attack it at a later date. I may play on adding more depth in the middle too. cutting right in to create grooves almost.

George Farmer said:
In what way, Mark? In terms of maintenance or its role in the aquascape design?

longevity. I'm still a noob almost with HC and don't really know it's life span.

here's a wobbly vid

under exposed slightly, the stems play havoc as their so bright.

You should combine all these videos into a screensaver. Would look magnificent!

flygja said:
You should combine all these videos into a screensaver. Would look magnificent!

I wouldn't know where to start :D

After adding a few species of fish, I'm now a little clearer in what I like. Lemon tertas seem to shine in this tank. more so than any other.

I like the idea of a community tank as it brings little flashes of colour here and there. 8)

Great video again Mark--what a perfectly clean tank! It looks like you did not have more than a couple of brown ales before getting that wobbly video.

saintly said:
I like the idea of a community tank as it brings little flashes of colour here and there. 8)
I agree.

Just one or two species would not compliment the complexity of this layout, in my view.

They may not look so impressive for a final full-tank shot (getting them to shoal will be nigh on impossible with multiple species), but it's more important that you enjoy the tank real-time.

The video proves just how incredibly healthy your plants are, and how your set-up and maintenance techniques are beyond reproach. The 'scape looks ok too... ;) Kudos.

George Farmer said:
They may not look so impressive for a final full-tank shot (getting them to shoal will be nigh on impossible with multiple species)

your not wrong there mate. bit of a nightmare if i'm honest. Each time i come close to the tank, they tend to drift upwards thinking there going to fed.

test-images.jpg

test-BW.jpg

hydrophyte said:
Great video again Mark--what a perfectly clean tank! It looks like you did not have more than a couple of brown ales before getting that wobbly video.

cheers Devin, just a bit of russian vodka! :lol:

George Farmer said:
Have you considered pruning the HC right back to the substrate-line against the front glass, so it gets gradually taller towards the rear? No rush for this, of course, but something to think about for the future, especially for FTS when wanting to show the 'scape off a little better. This adds a further sense of depth to the HC, which can look a little 'flat' when compared to the relatively complex shapes and textures in the remaining 'scape.

man, this is tip of the century! thanks George.

I've just done it! trimmed a good inch away from the front of the HC and difference is just amazing. It gives instant depth, where there was none.

to think I was happy with it the way it was and now look...brilliant.

I've now decided what I'm doing next tank! :p

grandb3rry said:
Nice tank! Really one of the bestest! :thumbup:

thanks mate :)

I took a pic of the HC after trimming it, but like a cock, i forgot you only get the impression of depth when level with the tank :shifty:

i think from the following image, you'll see it's kinda 'moundy' now.

before (after a trim BTW) it was a good inch up the glass

hc-trim-3-1.jpg

And after, trimming the inch down to the substrate. I'll need a side shot to show the incline, but you can just make out the 3d effect.

slope-2.jpg

Again, thanks to George :thumbup:

Back