• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

do big shrimp eat baby shrimp

naz

hi forum
iv set up a moss tank about 3 month ago,looking to breed shrimp,cherry shrimp,,i had a little bit of hair algea a month back :crazy: ,so i got some bigger shrimp,amano s, and japanise s,thinking thay would eat algea quicker,iv notice that my cherrys have breed,but i can only see 3 little babys in there,can anyone tell me if amano or japanise shrimp eat baby cherry shrimp,as ther should be more than 3 babys......

I am not aware of other shrimp eating shrimplets, I have kept amanos and cherrys together and cherrys always bred happily, what I have seen kill shrimp is other fish, assassin snails, planaria and bad maintenance in general, water changes right after the shrimp hatching can also wipe them out.

My Crystal Reds are vultures if one of them goes down. They started picking at one that wasn't completely dead couple of days back; I had to drive them off with a net and separate them for him to die in peace! I've never seen them pick on any healthy shrimp though. I once had some Chilli Rasbora and when one must have died in the night I only found a miniature fish skeleton (Felix the Cat style) where they picked it clean. Shrimp can be surprising!

Shrimplets can be very sensitive if your tank doesn't contain the necessary biofilm/food source, lacks in calcium, or has trace levels of ammonia or nitrite. Any one of these factors can mean shrimplets won't make it beyond 10 days. Cherries are hardier then the Crystal Reds I have experience with though so I'm sure it shouldn't be as bad. I'm guessing due to the adult shrimps scavenging tendencies then any deceased shrimplets would soon disappear.

I have a small team of amanos, 8 or so in my 260l. I'm intending getting about 20 cherrys to start a breeding colony. Will the amanos be an issue?

My amanos pick off the odd cherry, but nothing to much.
I agree with Ade on ukshrimp for one, most shrimps could in theory take on small shrimps, but its not an issue unless you have about 5 cherries in a tank with 10 amanos as they will outbreed any minor predation.

Picture this, a tank full of guppies and 5 neon tetras, the neons will eat baby guppies but there will be a lot survive, similar scenario.

Back