• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetratec EX 1200 filter

zig

Ok I will put the question in the right section this time :)

Anybody using these filters, what do you think of them?

Would it give me enough circulation with an inline heater plumbed in for a 150l tank?? What would you reckon? I could always plumb the heater in on an eheim 2213 and just use the Tetratec on its own, would that be nescessary do you reckon, I would rather keep the watts of power used down as much as possible.

Thanks

I think the tetratec 1200 is a great filter, easy to use and more output than others with the supposededly the same outputs.
I am now running one of these with the hydor300 on alongside an eheim 1200 professional in a rio300, and the tetratec is far superior in my opinion

hope this helps, john

Just got the tetratec 1200 on the Rio 125. Love. It. The flow is crazy. Comes with all media and a spray bar!!! The hoses are clear and the spraybar and inlet are clear with a light grey hue. The inlet is telescopic.

First filter I've set up myself and it was easy peasy. It was a tad noisy, just a hum, but considering the size of the filter the noise is reasonable.

Thanks everyone just double checking really, I had heard good things about them but no info is better than first hand experience and plenty of that here. I will order one today, it seems to fit the bill perfectly, it will give me 8x turnover that should be enough I would imagine, beats the supposed 3.5x turnover I have now with my eheim 2215 (which I firmly doubt) I was a pretty big believer in eheims not so sure now though, the drop off in flow is pretty major with that filter. I now have it on an 84l tank and it seems about right for that .

Thanks everyone.

been running one for over 6 months now and i think they are awsome filters :D I did have a problem with one of the plastic u pieces when it started to suck air in, they are moulded in 2 pieces i think then bonded together, i emailed tetratec in the morning and they had a replacement free of charge to me the next day... Great filter with great backup :D

Might have to put this on hold for a week :wideyed:

Just spent €850 in Tecso buying 2 LCD Tvs and a 160gig DVD revcorder , impulse buy, well not exactly impulse, seen an ad last night in the Sunday newspaper, got a great deal though, 50% off all Tvs DVDs etc in a one day only sale :D

Fishtank flow can wait a little while, gotta get the oul priorities right sometimes :D

Why do I always miss these events! However, I did manage to get myself a digital scales in Lidl today for €14 euro! I bet your real Jealous! Real Jealous!

Regarding the filter, it may have just been a batch that was sent to Ireland but I have heard "numerous" stories of people having to return to certain shops around Dublin to have their 1200 replaced. Apparently the seams around the area where the pipes entered the canister was leaking badly. Darren from (ITFS) had to replace his about three weeks ago and he only had it two days. Its something to think about and you might want to order one from abroad so as to not get stuck with one from the same batch if you buy here. I have been using the EX700 since it came on the market and I highly recommend the TetraTec externals.

Cheers Denis I didn't know that I will check it out a bit further ;) I was more looking at Zooplus.ie for the purchase although one thing I noticed is that Zooplus.co.uk have the same filter a lot cheaper, overall this filter is pretty cheap in the UK, not here though, although add postage costs from any UK supplier and it works out the same price from Zooplus.ie :? I will check with Darren where he bought it although I can probably guess.

Thanks Denis

Well I did a bit more checking around on this and it turns out there may be problems with this filter, a known problem which Tetra are aware of apparently.

The problem is with the sealing ring or gasket, which after opening up the filter for maintenance leaks when you start the filter up again.

A well known shop over here has returned several 1200 filters, also individuals who have bought these off the internet from abroad have had to return them as well so its not just a local issue.

Anyways, pity, would have fitted the bill nicely. Might wait a while and chance it anyway, checking the returns policy carefully beforehand from where I buy it.

Hi Sam,

I shall be opening up my filter tomorrow so if I have any problems I'll let you know. It's doing pretty good so far!

Lisa

zig said:
Sorry Sam I didn't see this, thanks for that, tbh I haven't had a chance to do anything else about this as I have been too busy working :arghh:
Ah yes work , I also find that it gets in the way of doing the things you really want to do. :rolleyes:

Well in the end I bought this filter, a Tetratec EX1200, and took delivery this morning so I have it set up and running now. First impressions are that its BIG, definitely check your stand size before you place your order to make sure it fits inside your cabinet. The filter is not totally silent , you can hear a low level hum from it when its up and running, but nothing too major, the three Eheim externals I have are totally silent in comparison. I have the outflow running without the spraybar for the moment to try and maximise the flow, I have it pointing across the tank from the side. First observations are that I may have to use the spraybar, the plants do not move as I thought they would with all the extra flow I have added to this tank, I ran an Eheim 2215 on this 150l tank beforehand which was inadequate, cant say I see a huge difference with this so far :( my expectations are probably a bit to high, I was expecting major flow :D I will try it with the spraybar, I don't have a large lily pipe to try that out although I am sure I could mod something up to give that a go.

Ps. big stickers all over the box that it came in saying the customs hand searched my filter when it was being delivered, I wonder what they found :lol: they weren't too careful either the box is pretty ripped up :twisted:

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Just got the tetratec 1200 on the Rio 125. Love. It. The flow is crazy. Comes with all media and a spray bar!!! The hoses are clear and the spraybar and inlet are clear with a light grey hue. The inlet is telescopic.

First filter I've set up myself and it was easy peasy. It was a tad noisy, just a hum, but considering the size of the filter the noise is reasonable.

did you manage to fit it into the stand alright as i was going to order one of these or did you have to move the wooden shelf in th middle ?

Back