• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Riparium (formerly Betta Biotope)

Pixels said:
Here we go, some pictures at last.

Full tank shot
DSC_0526.JPG

what plant is that in the furthest right planter?

Hi Krish, It's great, I cannot imagine a better fish to have my desk next to me. I like it when I find him resting on his side, using the moss as a sort of bed. Oh how I wish I had more room for anabantoids!

Bettas are one of the "smart" fish in my opinon. When I used to breed and keep bettas I always used lots og moss like you for the to rest on. Has he started to build a bubble nest let?

mine has started to build a bubble nest (sorry to ask on this thread) but no fry yet! he has four females with him, will they breed succsefully?

dr zaius said:
mine has started to build a bubble nest (sorry to ask on this thread) but no fry yet! he has four females with him, will they breed succsefully?

The best thing to do is to have 1 male and 1 female. I'm supised that they male has'nt attacked the feamles proberly because your talk is densly planted. Feed the pair some bloodworms and brinshrimp for about 1-2 weeks. A bubble nest is a good sighn that you aren keeping your bettas very well :thumbup: Give the male some floating plants to build his nest on.

For more info look on my site if you want: http://www.krishsbettas.co.nr/

Ok cool so im getting there! I have a riparium

DSCF0235.jpg

and have loads of floating plants!

thanks for the help

what plant is that in the furthest right planter?
That plant is one I got after seeing your tank, it is Houttuynia cordata. I would like it to grow a bit lower, but it seems to grow towards the light from the window now.

Has he started to build a bubble nest yet?
There are often bubbles on the surface these days, but I sure there are less since I lowered the temp. I used to keep the water around 28-29 degrees.

Krish I agree with Luke, your website is brilliant. I will have to try my hand at breeding at some point, though I think I have my heart set on trying with Trichopsis pumila. Would you be happy for me to link to your site from my blogger page?

Cheers
Paul

oh cool, yes mine is doing the same shooting straight up for the light source, think I might trim it down to try and get it more bushy

Been a while...

Pictures I took this morning before I changed everything. It has essentially running on sunlight and a heater. Filters and light were turned off a months ago.

Full tank shot
DSC_0645.JPG

A bit closer
DSC_0648.JPG

The rescape

Check out the length of the roots
DSC_0653.JPG

Even longer again!
DSC_0657.JPG

Off topic slightly, but I put glass jar to good use (see page 3). I am thinking of adding all of this to the tank
DSC_0661.JPG

Back to the tank

In goes the soil
DSC_0663.JPG

Osmocote
DSC_0664.JPG

Now where did I leave that water?
DSC_0666.JPG

Back on my desk
DSC_0671.JPG

It's looking a bit sparse and frankly the gravel I chose feels like a bit of a mistake, I have some akadama and some eco-complete, but thought I would go for a more natural look - maybe not?

Still has only a heater, but I put the light back on so I can see my betta a bit better.

Will look to get more pictures up this week.

Cheers
Paul

Wow those plants grew really nice in there.

It worked out quite nicely, I was concerned about the size of the tank and the trellis never really worked out. But otherwise I am totally pleased.

I guess what I have now doesn't really count as a riparium anymore!

Cheers
Paul

Thought I would post an in situ shot.

DSC_0648%20%282%29.JPG

Cheers
Paul

A quick update - apologies for the poor quality phone pictures, but you should get the idea!

I have recently added a JANSJÖ LED lamp from IKEA. While I like the new minimal look, the light is a bit to yellow for my liking.

It usually just has a heater in it, but at the moment it has the filter from my 45 litre running in it and the Clithon corona from the same tank while it going through the motions of a dry start.

in situ
IMAG0228.jpg

From the front - believe it or not, that lump in the middle is Fissidens fontanus
IMAG0226.jpg

Thanks for looking
Paul

hydrophyte said:
Pixels said:
A bit closer
DSC_0648.JPG

Wow those plants grew really nice in there.

I agree the tank looked amazing, why did you rescape and bin the the plants they were doing so well!
It looks ok now, abit bare for my liking, but bet its nice too look at on the desk :)

How did the moss and fern fair up when the surface was planted like in the pic, I suppose an the led ikea light could of come in handy then to illuminate through the gap front left.

Quick one, what happend to the previous light to the LED, the ebay black one, I was going to get one from there. Did it bust?

Sorry, a bit slow with the replies.

Thats grown quite a bit! Looks pretty neat, well done
Thanks, it's a great little, very low maintenance tank

I love it. Very nice and tidy.
Thanks Garuf

I agree the tank looked amazing, why did you rescape and bin the the plants they were doing so well!
It looks ok now, abit bare for my liking, but bet its nice too look at on the desk
I agree, the tank did look better. But this way it requires so little maintenance. Although I have started looking at the marginals and I still have my hanging planters from riparium supply...

Quick one, what happend to the previous light to the LED, the ebay black one, I was going to get one from there. Did it bust?
The original light was from ebay and it still works fine, in fact it lives in my 180 litre and comes on just before lights on, and just after lights off. I like the IKEA light, I just wish it was a bit closer to 6500k.

As much as I love my Betta, it does mean I cannot keep anything else in the tank. I would like to plant it more and keep inverts and maybe a few Tanichthys albonubes or something else small. Not entirely sure and hopefully the Betta has plenty of life left in him.

Back