• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jobs, where's best to find them

I have been out of the job market for a while, been working for the same company since 2002, but when I was looking I would get up in the morning and go knock on offices and warehouses and ask if they had a vacancy. Got many no's but also got yes'es.

About the agencies not allowing you to sign up for anyone else, that is bull***, I would say yes, then do whatever I needed to get a position.

At one time I was registered at two agencies and would take whatever work they had.

Also check the yellow pages for distribution companies, event organizers and hotels, check security companies and restaurants, even Pizza Hut and the like.

Cleaning, that usually is also a quick way to get money.

Sorry - forgot to add that with the agencies once you are signed up ring them every morning sounding postive and keen as soon as they're open. My sister used to work as a recruitment agent and she said that always worked because when work came in the keen people who they spoke to every day were the first names that came to mind.
Cheers
Matt

Cheers everyone, I'll get a look in tomorrow. Would probably help if I owned some smart clothes, best I have is a pair of black jeans and a plain teeshirt...

I recommend checking out a jumble sale. Its much cheaper than a charity shop and you can pick up clothes for about 10-20p. Walk around a city center for about an hour you could probably rack up enough money to buy a few smart items of clothing!

PS I haven't on purpose walked round a city center looking for money. But I have found a good amount of money over the years. Found £10 note in Waterloo station once!

A half decnt suit is a good investment - i've still got the first suit i bought and use it pretty regularly. From Leeds get a train to Glasshoughton. Go to Skopes shop at Junc 32 outlet and you can get a complete suit package (inc. shirt and tie!) for £100. They're nice suits as well - my best men and me wore them for my wedding, and i'm doing the same this weekend at my mates wedding. £100 might sound like a lot but if it gets you a job it's worth the money mate.
You might just have to cut back on the Tropica plants a bit :)
Or failing that get a smart pair of jeans and a good shirt (i'd recommend Tesco clothing) - it still might be enough to put you above the competetion!
Matt

Hmm. This getting a job lark is expensive! I'll have to see what I can find I suppose, I called up a few more agencies and applied for what ever they have. Applied for royal mail too. See where this gets me!

I would also get a board and would walk down your high street asking for a job.. Someone is bound to get you something.

Job Centres used to be good, check them out.

Where are you based? Where can you work?

if your signed on to job seekers allowance they give you a clothing grant witch you pay back eventually.

thats gay they should help out abit, you do get loans though right??

Yeah but my loan works out at £13 pounds a week to live on and that's only till july which means till september I effectively have nothing.

wow thats sucks. you must have a few bits lurking in cupboards you could put on here?? ONVIOUUUUUSSSLLLY i get 1st dibs haha

Back