• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Now FOR SALE !

Re: Tonsers 420L "Triassic Hollow" - Day6

A few new pics from last night...

_MUS5462.jpg

_MUS5464.jpg

_MUS5467.jpg

_MUS5470.jpg

Please ignore the Hygrophila Difformis in the back right corner - its jsut there as a fast growing absorber for now :)

As you see, I've fitted the black background now, and it looks fantastic! It gives the tank a far more dramatic presence in the room. If I ever come to do any "final" shots I'll probably go back to a diffused backing so I can backlight the tank, but for now I'm loving this :)

The Myriophyllum Mattogrossense has grown a couple of inches already, and the Myriophyllum Aquatica has grown too though not as quick - I think there is a shortage of light in the back corners which I'll be addressing today ;) There are also new shoots appearing on the glosso and the hydrocotyle though these are growing upwards right now so a prune in a few days and perhaps more light will be needed.

The tank backing allowed me to install the overflow system, and the RO/HMA reservoir and top up pump is done and working on a timer. For now it pumps in 75L of fresh water every morning after the lights switch on (about 20% ) and the overflow lets the same amount run out. I know this is not an exact water change as some of the fresh water will run away too but I'll see how it goes. I might add a drain on a timer to one of the filter pipes and drain 20L away first, before adding the fresh.

Here's a couple of behind the scenes pics, as we all love to see the 'gubbins' :)

_MUS5477.jpg

_MUS5479.jpg

_MUS5478.jpg

I hate you with a passion you can only dream of, you talented ******* of a ***** with a **** and ***** with bells on! :)
Bet you've got either
a)no kids
b)very understanding other half
c)all of the above!

Really, really loving this - great how you've contextualised it as well by showing the original tank in it's setting - really helps.
Cheers!
Matt

What i love is the simplicity of the tank, i.e you only see the finished product. The you enter the gubbins room at the back and you realise all the kit you have running this thing!

Really good to see the back of house shots!

ANdy

Are you using standard garden hose flow stop connectors on some of your piping?! I think I've even more impressed by layout of the "gubbings" than I am of the scape! Which is amazing btw. Can't wait to see it progress. Have you thought about stocking? or did I miss it?

Looks amazing. How do you find maintenance on a tank like this, only being able to access it from behind? Becuase I really like the idea of a tank in a wall - so to speak.

Thanks
Adam

Thanks chaps :)

bigmatt said:
Bet you've got either
a)no kids
b)very understanding other half
c)all of the above!

Haha :)

Meet Sara and Liberty-May - both very understanding :)

IMG_1207.jpg

Bobtastic said:
Are you using standard garden hose flow stop connectors on some of your piping? Have you thought about stocking? or did I miss it?

Hi Bob. I use Hozelock sprinkler timers for the timed outlets to drain the water off. I put an eheim 'T' in the filter 'in' pipe and from this run through the Hozelock timer and to a drain. Stocking is likely to be a large shoal of either neon yellow microrasbora kubotai or gelius barb :)

saintly said:
The hardscape king!

Haha, dont know about that Mark, and its the plants that'll make or break it, so I might well be picking your 'pruning' brain :D

AdAndrews said:
How do you find maintenance on a tank like this, only being able to access it from behind?

Its not too bad, there are doors that open up above the tank on the front which gives about 6inches of access so at least you can see what you are doing in the tank !

Cheers

Tony

Wahhyyy, there they are.....

Now pal, you know these two lovely lady's are the only two people who count, and if they dont like it, then a man has to do what a man has to do.

The planting is brilliant Tony.

From experience, the indian fern will get huge given even half a chance, so bear that in mind when letting it grow. It could look to dominant in the gap in the stones, only time will tell really.

Once the Hydrocotly fills in, it will looks stunning, I love this plant so much. And for all who have never grown it - You can hack at it, pull and poke at this plant and it still keeps growing, and, if nothing ells, it smells like parsley, which is nice.

Its still early days regarding care and maintenance of plants, but dont be scared to ket the scissors out next week Tony.

Cheers.

Graeme Edwards said:
Now pal, you know these two lovely lady's are the only two people who count, and if they dont like it, then a man has to do what a man has to do.

You got it :D They had me looking at a new house yesterday, and you know what that means :wideyed:

Graeme Edwards said:
From experience, the indian fern will get huge given even half a chance, so bear that in mind when letting it grow. It could look to dominant in the gap in the stones, only time will tell really.

I suspect this will be a problem, but they are just pushed into the crevices between the rocks so I can always move them more to the background, and introduce something new to the crevices - either mosses or bolbitis.

Graeme Edwards said:
Its still early days regarding care and maintenance of plants, but dont be scared to ket the scissors out next week Tony.

Yep I think that might be needed, as both the hydrocotyle and glosso are showing signs of vertical growth right now - see the pic below:

_MUS5496.jpg

Its now a week old, so here is a new full tank shot, and the day 1 shot below for comparison :D

_MUS5480.jpg

_MUS5313.jpg

Tony

Re: Tonsers 420L "Triassic Hollow" @ 1week

thats some great growth.
i'm lost for words,just find myself staring at your pics :) .

Tonser said:
as both the hydrocotyle and glosso are showing signs of vertical growth right now - see the pic below:

in my nano, which I thought was 'low light' hydracotle grew tight to the floor. In my big tank, which thought was 'high light' it's growing 6 inches tall.

The hydra, will keep you busy when it starts to spread mate :thumbup:

With the stems mate, you need to decide the 'final' height when the tank is at it's best. this determines the trimming heights. IMO, it's still too early to touch them.

Hi Tony,

Gotta say that the rate of growth your getting there is brilliant! and the planting is every bit as good as the layout well done!
What material is the black background and how have you stuck it so neatly to the back of the glass?

Cheers Ben

THis is just amazing. You selected perfect plants for this layout.

This scene reminds me of mountains that I have seen in Arizona, USA and in Mexico.

Tonser said:
A few new pics from last night...

_MUS5462.jpg

Thanks all :D

saintly said:
The hydra, will keep you busy when it starts to spread mate :thumbup:

With the stems mate, you need to decide the 'final' height when the tank is at it's best. this determines the trimming heights. IMO, it's still too early to touch them.

Thanks Mark

The glossi is rocketing away, and my trimming fingers are getting itchy - it may well get the chop this weekend ! I reckon some of the parrot feather will be at the surface by then too :wideyed: This is all very different to "Peacocks Crypt" which took months to get going !

B7fec said:
What material is the black background and how have you stuck it so neatly to the back of the glass?
Hi Ben

The black film is from http://www.stickybackplastic.co.uk. Its their gloss black film and I'd highly recommend it - delivery took about 5 days, and it is nice and thick and easy to work with (you apply it with a sprayer of fairy liquid and a squigee or credit card). They do frosting films too :)

Tony

Parrot feather, as in Myriophyllum aquaticum? I had it in a goldfish tank before I knew better and it used to break the surface within a couple of days! That was with no light, ferts or co2!

The tanks beautiful, it's going to look amazing once done.

Hi Garuf

I've got 2 "parrot feathers" in there : Myriophyllum Aquaticum from 'planted tanks.co.uk' in the back left corner, and Myriophyllum Matogrossense from TGM to the back right of the hollow. The matogrossense is a richer green colour, with a reddish stem, and is rocketing away and is almost at the surface now, looking really healthy. The Aquaticum is a paler hue of green, but its also really struggling and is melting in the lower stems. I think thats due to lack of light in the back corners though as I only had pair of 4ft 39w tubes across the back of the tank. I replaced these with a 5ft luminaire last night so hopefully that should get them recovering.

Tony

Looking great, Tony! :D

Tonser said:
The Aquaticum is a paler hue of green, but its also really struggling and is melting in the lower stems.

I suspect your Myriophyllum aquaticum was supplied in its already submerged form (I may be wrong). If this is the case then it will have a lot harder time adapting to your water, which may explain it 'melting'. Plants grown emerged i.e. around 90% of the species available in the hobby, adapt much easier. M. aquaticum is also an invasive species in the UK so please be careful when/if disposing of it. :)

Quality Tony,plants growth is looking very good,it will interesting to see how tall the hydrocotyle actually grows,great photo,s too,my wife loved the the family shot,
regards,
john.

Back