• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

would this silicone be safe

I thought (and it is only thought) it was the other way round in that aquarium silicone DOESN'T contain the antifungal stuff that can affect livestock. However, i'd be really interested to find out as this could be another case where inserting the word "aquarium" means a tenner on the asking price!
Cheers!
Matt

it think your right matt it the anti fungal that causes problems this stuff seems it would be safe im going too look further in to it and try some on a viv im building ill let you know how i get on

I read on a Aussie tank building article dow corning silicone(cant find the link or remeber which type) was the one of the best to use even though it says not for aquarium use. He contacted the distributor to find out why and it was because too many people were using it incorrectly and blaming the silicone for leaky tanks and was nothing to do with the quality of the product or its suitability for aquarium use. I personally have used various dow corning products when I was working on aircraft and always found them to be very high quality.

Ollie

Edit found the link read Silicone types nearly at the bottom of the articlehttp://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html

I got an email back 781 is not ok for fish tanks it cant be submersed ill post the email when im at my pc thanks ollie i found the type in that article 480 its not a silicon over here its a caulk ill have a proper look when i get home

copy of email ive e maild asking about the 480 but i dont hold out much faith ill get an alternative to there £8 product ill keep looking and see if i can work it out

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, Dow Corning 781 is unsuitable for your application as it is not designed to be submerged in water.
We do have a product called Geocel Aquaria which is specifically designed for use in small glass fish tanks no larger than 600mm by 900mm by 600mm.

PM me the email addy and Ill send them a question asking if the 781 is suitable for sealing in a potable water tank that will be constantly full of water and Ill see if I get the same answer :shh:

Ollie

Aquarium silicone can be bought for under £9 a tube online, so I wouldn't risk it myself... You're going to be putting a lot of high value flora and fauna in the tank, so is saving a couple of quid on a tube of silicone worth the risk? Just my 2p worth...

im just interested if aquarium silicone is the same as another product and there just charging more because it says fish on the label its done with plants gravel sand and bits of kit. and there's loads of posts one line of people using normal silicone with out a problems so i thought it was worth a look and some of the projects im planing will use multiple tubes so £4 a tube would make a difference

so dow cornig said i need to use there fish specific silicon as all others are toxic. which is fair enough. then i went on the pfk web site just to have a read and screw fix are advertising silicon there781 agian and 791 so if i didnt know better i think they where safe what with being on pfk

Back