• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Rio 180L Aquascape Diary

Hi Andy,
I found the EI thread on James Planted Tank site to be really helpful too. I've found the easiest thing for me is to dose the dry powders directly into the tank then there's less maths to do! I also have to keep reminding myself that it is the ESTIMATIVE index! The numbers don't have to be bang on, and the system work a bit better if you don't obsess about the numbers! I work on the basic assumption that as long as my livestock are well i can keep upping the nutrients to get better plant health. Having said that i have JUST started EI so we'll see if this stays true... :)
Cheers,
Matt

Update today.

Almost ready to order my plants so I had a go at scaping. I remember now why I asked for help scaping in the first post :oops:

I cannot scape to save my life. I'm just not very creative, more technical. If anyone could help me with my ideas i'd be very appeciative. Below are 2 ideas I had, both with a 2/3 focus on the right hand side. But i'd appreciate your guys help making it look better, and if you give any suggestions i'll take a picture and put it up, until "we" finally reach something which is at least acceptable :p :thumbup: Excuse the crap pictures ;)

SCAPE 1
The main focus was supposed to be a "tunnel" created by the wood 2/3 to the right of the tank. I will have moss hanging from the wood and plants surrounding it with a carpet plant covering the floor - creating a kind of cave or tunnel. Not sure what to do with the left though.. and also if I should add any rocks or not - you can see the rocks i have in scape 2.

scape1.jpg

scape13d.jpg

Left
scape1left.jpg

Right
scape1right.jpg

SCAPE 2
Like scape 1 i wanted to create a focus 2/3 to the right. This time the opposite of a cave though. The wood goes from the floor up. Once again not sure on rock placement or what to do on the left.

scape2.jpg

scape23d1.jpg

scape23d2.jpg

Left
scape2left.jpg

Right
scape2right.jpg

Cheers, Andy

I prefer the tunnel idea. You're going to lots of plants in there though to make it work and I think your rocks are too small. They'll get swallowed up in a couple of weeks. You could put them in the entrance to the tunnel and keep that bit fairly bare. Not sure on the left most branch. Seems a bit lost - perhaps incorporate it into the tunnel "walls"? Also, perhaps tighten the left part of the tunnel a bit more by bringing it more to the right.

Only initial thoughts. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Graham

Thanks Graham.

I agree that the rocks are too small but i really dont have any more money to spend on this project.
I could tighten the tunnel entrance but then i really have no clue as to what should be on the left hand side.
Maybe I could create a triangle layout, with the tunnel up high on the left with the plants gradually decreasing in size until the left is just a grass carpet with the odd rock?

Andy

In my humble opinion I would either use either more/beefier hardscape, or do a Dutch sort of thing with plants used as compositional anchor points with the wood you got as 'accents' to break it up. Just a quick thought.

i like the dutch idea, everyone (including me) is going very NA wouldbe cool to see someone who is new into the scene (again like me) taking that approach rather than the NA style.

what are you thinking now you have the hadscape in place?? theres really nice big rocks in a pile thats the size or a van on the site i work on, really detailed too, they use them as track rocks, to go...on the train tracks lol. i might have to grab a few, take a day trip to london with a big gym bag and there yours......thats IF i can take them and there okai for aquarium use,

anyone know how i would find this out??

Get some vinigar and put some on, If it fizzes it's bad if not it's most likely inert and probably okay.

lol okai ill take some in my lunch box, haha man i hope i dont get seen 'vinergering' a huge pile of rocks.......

20th June Update:

Finally decided on a hardscape. It may not be perfect but i like it, I can always work on improving my hardscapes on the next scape i do :)

Doesn't look great at the moment, but was only planted today. Had a bit of a saga with the plants so considering, i think it looks okay. You can read about the plant problem here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11905

So far the only algae is a little bit of brown on the glass but hopefully that wil clear up once the plants settle down. I still have some HC on its way which will cover the rest of the floor.
Anyway here are the pics (Crappy quality, will get better ones when its grown out a bit) Comments and crits please :)

Andy

frontnjs.jpg

Air bubbles are from water change.
co2level.jpg

andeekaii said:
Finally decided on a hardscape. It may not be perfect but i like it, I can always work on improving my hardscapes on the next scape i do :)

Nowt wrong with that, the hardscape in this case is complimentary and minimal to the plants. Looks great, the wood looks really natural. The only element that looks a little out of place is the largest stone but it still looks OK I think. Nice :thumbup:

Back