• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rare plants?

Mowze

What plants would hobbyists consider to be rare? I'm talking plants that are available in the trade outside the UK but not supplied by UK or European nurseries like Aquafleur/Tropica and only obtainable via import or private sellers.

I'm thinking things like all the Eriocaulon species and fair few species of Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus cultivars, Rotala species. Another one iv seen about but NEVER seen in this country not even online is Ludwigia sedoides, really nice floating plant but just doesn’t seem to be available.

Any species you have in a tank or know of that would be considered rare or at the very least uncommon?

I have in my tank Potamogeton gayi which I haven't seen anyone else using it before.

pict0107b.jpg

Wants the spec of that plant darrel? Size and growing conditions, any idea where I could get a hold of some?

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I grow Potamogeton gayi as well, but I'm not sure where my plant came from.
cheers Darrel
I got mine from Living Waters in London, great plant, sort of a mini bamboo.

Full shot:
pict0003qx.jpg

Close up of its lovely colours:
pict0019s.jpg

murph said:
Wants the spec of that plant darrel? Size and growing conditions, any idea where I could get a hold of some?
Its a stem with small needle leaves, grows as tall as you allow it to grow, and shoots off runners to propagate.
I find it needs a lot of flow, lots of medium-high light and very high CO2, you can get it from Living Waters in London, but if you want to try a couple of stems send me your address and I will put a couple in the post.

P. gayi seems a nice plant. Any chance of a specamin in place shot?

Ahh, ninja'd. What a great plant! I think I might have to add it onto my possible list it looks great!

Garuf said:
Ahh, ninja'd. What a great plant! I think I might have to add it onto my possible list it looks great!
Let me know when you are ready and I can always send you a couple of stems to try out, it too about 4 months to adapt and almost died completely, only having one single stem that was about a couple of inches not melting away, once that one took hold it grew very quickly.

Thanks Paulo! You're a star. It's a very pretty plant indeed, does living waters have many that we can't usual get?

Garuf said:
Thanks Paulo! You're a star. It's a very pretty plant indeed, does living waters have many that we can't usual get?
That shop is a place you find many mysterious plants, got my Stardust Anubias there a couple of weeks ago too, lovely mini anubia, similar to petite but has a golden "vein" on the middle of the leaves, never seen it on sale elsewhere either, they always have many plants there that you won't see on sale anywhere else, its not your common tropica or aquafleur plant retailer ;) We going there next Saturday as an LFKC mini trip you are welcome to join us :p

The chap that runs the place with his dad, Darren, is an encyclopaedia of information about plants, this guy was doing planted tanks over 10 years ago, check LFKC forum under Planted tanks and Living Waters.

I can't afford a trip down at the moment but once I've a job if there's floor space I'll gladly make the trip.
Another nice plant! Where is he getting these plants?! We need to get him an online shop so that plebeians like me can get some of these plants.

Check the LivingWaters website it will prob have some rarities on it: http://www.livingwatersonline.co.uk
I suspect a lot of stock comes in and out before they get a chance to put it on the website. Some is advertised over at lfkc.co.uk
They do not advertise mail order, but phone them and ask and they will send plants out to you. Tell them Matt sent you!

Moving back to the rare plant list ;)
A rare plant that I have, courtesy of Ed Seeley, is echinodorus oriental...
Lovely pink colour!
(The translucent 'blobs' everywhere are daphnia.)

hi to all iam venu i also had potamogeton goyi it is a very nice looking plant which can be easily propagated through stem cuttings or through suckers developed at its basal part,though its is usually grren in presence of more light its leafs turn into brownish red which looks like a seperate sps,it can be best placed at front corner of tank.

Hi all,
I like the look of P. octandrus, all Potamogeton species are genuine aquatics and quite a lot of our native ones have very fine leaves. We have P. pectinatus (Fennel-leaved Pondweed) in the lake on the campus, I'll see if Ican get a bit and see what it grows like warmer (it likes base rich, eutrophic water).

As other have suggested P. gayi is a good grower and easy to propagate, I thin it frequently so I aways have spare if any one wants it? I've given it to a few Plec keepers and it has done well in tanks with a lot of flow. Another thing I've noticed is the leaves very rarely get any algae grow on them (although the stems do)

cheers Darrel

Back