• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Mini M - Rescape

saintly said:
looks really nice viktor.

I see you've still got liliaeopsis leaves still in tact, and some wilting....cut these off now my friend.

The clear background is better! Have you tried placing a second light at the rear of the tank, shining upwards?

cheers Mark, sure will do with lilaeopsis, thanks for the tip :thumbup:
i like the clear one better too. that way the edges of the tank and the glass stuff really blend into the scape. with black one everything is so visible. not tried backlight on this tank yet, but will do as the bottom part looks dark now. what would you recommend to these type of lighting?

George Farmer said:
The carbon will have turned from a chemical adsorbtion media into biological media. Beware that you may lose a lot of biological filtration capacity by replacing it with new carbon in the initial period.

Hi George, actually i am not sure what's going on with this media. :p i mean carbons even the ADA ones would be exchausted in 2-4 weeks. from that time as you said this tuns to a bio media. now i am using this for 4-5 months. and the media act as a carbon filtration still. clearing up the water quickly, reducing chlor etc. this is one of the reason why i do not have any algae (only lilaeopsis leaves has some because of the ECA dosage). with all those good things i keep my eye on the plants as if i see any defficiency problems there. probably all above is because i used the factory 750mg for this small tank which is a lot, and not exchausted fully yet, but i do not know.

sure will take care with the replacement. ;) i am waiting a little to have a good bacterial activity in the soil as then it is easier to fully remove the media. i have powersand spec under the soil and i also dose green bacter weekly. this establish a good bacterial colony in the soil. so for me killing the colony is not an option ;) bulletproof jacket :lol:

however i am hesitating a little which way to go. if i replace to a new carbon i do not need to worry about anything except plant defficiency. as this would not give chances to any algae from startup. but probably my plants would not grew as it should do with normal medium. with normal medium like substrat pro, matrix, bio filtration would be good, but would loose all advantages of the carbon control. having harder times with algae again and with my shrimps. of course there's sitll an option to mix it. using just a little carbon with mainly bio media. hmm too much option ;)

thanks for the tip anyway. :thumbup:

I always thought carbon was bad for planted tanks as it removes all the nutrients we add?

nry said:
I always thought carbon was bad for planted tanks as it removes all the nutrients we add?

a good carbon media removes enough ferts to have defficiency. for me this time i put shrimps a little above the plants meanwhile i would like to keep algae at the bay. this small tank has 27watt power compact for 20 liter which is a lot of light. giving hard times along the year. especially as with summer i get a lot of extra lights through the windows too.

i started to use this media for 3 reasons ealrier. clear water, algae problems, shrimp sensivity. and it performed great on these areas. but after months of use i see some defficiency on my old HC carpet and Microsorum. So this is a second attempt as now i can watch my plants closely to see if this medium cause any problem.

also seen that Amano used it (or at least marked that) on his sukei on these nanos. so i wanted to try it.
http://aquajournal.net/suikei_data/004/gallery_03.html
http://aquajournal.net/suikei_data/006/gallery_01.html

by the way i fully recommend this type of filter medium for any cycling/startup period. for 2-3 weeks this do an excellent job, like nothing else.

viktorlantos said:
what would you recommend to these type of lighting?

for this tank, maybe 1 x 24w t5 with reflector :thumbup:

nry said:

it's minimal mate. i use carbon on every tank, and lots of it.

Has the opinion of carbon in planted tanks changed then? (Sorry for the brief hi-jack!).

looking good :thumbup:

question: i was wondering, when you guys rescape your tanks are you using the same substrate? or always new? i never worked with ADA substrate or other brands. how long can you work with a substrate?

Paulus said:
looking good :thumbup:

question: i was wondering, when you guys rescape your tanks are you using the same substrate? or always new? i never worked with ADA substrate or other brands. how long can you work with a substrate?

well in a small tank like this, sometimes easier to replace the soil and substrate and start with a clean page. as this way you can have fresh substrate packed with nutrients not an exchausted one.

but on my large tank i just removed the top mud and cloud with a pipe and added a new bag of soil on the top of that.
these clay soils could work for 2-3 years i bet, but since they slowly release their ferts you need to use bottom ferts to make the soil rich in nutrients after a year.

so the short answer is that this is usable for a few years but not forever. :D

Viktor! Where are your updates on this tank! Stop playing BF2 and get some pictures posted! :lol: :lol: :geek:

not posted a while ago... i had an algae attack in the past few weeks which i try to remove. had some brush on the stone and some other on the HC. in the meantime UG melted. and i just throwed in some additional blyxa and UG. not giving up :lol: as soon as i get over on the algae attack i will remove some plants which not fit to the scape. for now this is how it looks...

4666592287_e4ff8ffd5f_b.jpg

4666595113_61fc5b0908_b.jpg

4667218882_acb9e617e2_b.jpg

I really like the pencil fish, maybe the UG didn't like a high ferts environment? T

Hmmm, take the fish out and nuke it with co2 for a bit? I think UG might just need a long time to settle down after planting.

lil-lynx said:
what background did you use and love the layout of the tank :) keep it up :)

no background there. just white wall. the light do the effect ;) thanks for your nice words.

Garuf said:
Hmmm, take the fish out and nuke it with co2 for a bit? I think UG might just need a long time to settle down after planting.

had more co2 before but because of the co2 fluctation i got the BBA.

TBRO said:
I really like the pencil fish, maybe the UG didn't like a high ferts environment? T

thanks ;) i think it need only a softer water than i have (GH15 currently)

HC, UG pruned, rotala trimmed. I still have some algae issues, so using the "FIFA World Cup solution" throwed in 11 amanos to kick off the remaing algae from my grass. :hilarious:

Some pics from the current look...

4685659193_0e54cf266f_b.jpg

4693396415_5f36cccec7_b.jpg

4694033272_811cc9ff88_b.jpg

and a short vid from the front:

samc said:
looking good viktor :)

looks like the UG has settled down now.

Thanks mate ;) Yup getting better. I guess the pruning helped a lot. Leaves are not floating and generating a bunch of new leaves daily. Will see, but promising :angelic:

Very nice 'scape, Viktor. I just love ADA's mini lamps and tanks. :)

bit of an update ;)
shoot this a few days ago. started to eliminate brushes. currently i am softening the water from GH15 to somewhere around GH7-8.

because of the hard light the Blyxa Japonica grows really compact, which i like a lot. Gives a different feeling to this tank as it looks much bigger than it is (20 liters)

one more week and the HC will fill fully the left side too. we have a really hot weather around this time. so i keep running the air conditioners in the room to keep the 26 celsius in this tank. otherwise would be 30+ which would eliminate my green grass quickly :D

4778140690_c40f83beec_b.jpg

4777507981_3a392f0061_b.jpg

Back