• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lukes first riparium!

thanks again hydro, Its growing really well I just want it to bloom! Its a shame I cant send you one!!

I think that I can find that plant if I look around a bit.

The blooms of Pilea aren't much to look at really. Most of them have green flowers of granular texture held close to the leaves.

two new plants, golden japanese rush and umbrella palm

DSCF0246-1.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

new tank shots

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

thanks for replying!

That umbrella sedge and the sweetflag are both excellent riparium plants. Great find!

This is looking very impressive now. :thumbup:

Makes me want a bigger riparium. I wonder what my chances are of getting another tank into the house? :shh:

hydrophyte said:
That umbrella sedge and the sweetflag are both excellent riparium plants. Great find!

thanks hydro! Only got them because of a list you suggested to me! As thats all my planters used up now I think I will let the plants I have grow in and see what happens!

Pixels said:
This is looking very impressive now. :thumbup:

Makes me want a bigger riparium. I wonder what my chances are of getting another tank into the house? :shh:

Thanks again! Lol I think you should try! I'm so happy with my riparium!!!

Hey Luke has that little palm started to grow at all? I have wondered about trying those but haven't heard whether they grow very well in the water.

th parlour palm? Yeah its doing great not the fastest of growers but all the same growing and rooting!

I'll have to try that one. It looks like it could be good for filling up much of the background for a smaller layout.

hydro, I have a really thin layer of "oil" on the top of my water when i disturb the water it breaks up, then reforms a while later, any ideas?

I would try the paper towel method.

I have had that organic film develop a few times on new setups. It usually disappears as the system matures.

Hi all,
I have a really thin layer of "oil" on the top of my water when i disturb the water it breaks up
it is bacterial. It may be a Leptothrix species, in which case it is a to do with the REDOX reactions in the sediment.

As Hydrophyte says It usually disappears as the system matures, or you can add some surface agitation (but this will increase the rate of gas exchange).

cheers Darrel

I came back from a weeks vacation the day before yesterday and waterchanged and trimmed right back, was like a jungle even after a week!

DSCF3174.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3171.jpg

DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3168.jpg

Nice work Luke! You have really gotten some fantastic growth from those plants.

I really have to try some of that Lysimachia again. I have planted it a couple of times but it fizzled for me. It is growing like wild in your setup. You lotus looks happy too.

just a few new pics of growth
DSCF3189.jpg

DSCF3190.jpg

DSCF3193.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

spathilium bloom

DSCF3194.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

found a bit of pilea floating in the creeping jenny and it has started growing floating!

Back