• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Not a great start...

andeekaii

I finally decided to take the plunge into the high-tec planted world. To cut a long story short, here is was has gone wrong so far.

- bought a koralia off ebay, arrives broken, seller refuses to admit it was broken even though there was a repair to it. Makes a rattling noise, claimed money back through paypal.
- after finally getting a co2 bottle, after a few days i notice that the o-ring leaks, have to travel 10 miles to get it replaced.
- now co2 is working i notice that one of the diffusers i bought has a huge leak.
- now co2 is working i buy plants - half of them arrived damaged/dead.
- now i've finally got the plants growing, my rio 180 light unit breaks (luckily i have a spare t5 starter)
- Last night i almost killed my blue ram with a co2 overdose. Luckily hes fine this morning after nuking the tank with o2.
- and then to top it off, this morning, 2 days after my light unit breaks, my solenoid has bloody broken :twisted: and I can't get it off so that I can run co2 24/7. So the £50 i've just spent on plants is also going to be wasted :/ And only 2 days ago i spent 7 hours planting HC :woot:

Should i just give up now?! :thumbdown:

Andy

clonitza said:
Yes. Bad karma. :lol:

No, don't give up..

But why start in high tech straight away? Try low tech instead for a while..

Why can't you get the solenoid off?

About the kit you bought, try to get it replaced, or ask for your money back, most stuff comes with a year warranty anyway.

About the light, there is little you can do but replace it.

I've done low tech before. But the hi-tech was working fine, until the solenoid decided to break. Hc was just starting to root and spread, hardly any algae, was doing well. But now i have no co2 it's gonna be hard to keep everything alive until i get a replacement.

I can't get the solenoid off because its too tight and there isnt much room to get a spanner thing in. Even when i found one small enough it was just too tight to unturn. I've already contacted the seller (china, brilliant :( ) and im just waiting for a response. It's only 3 weeks old. And even if i do get a replacement its going to take at least a week to arrive.

Will the plants survive for that long without co2 if i lower the fert dosing massively?

I'd pretty much cut the light altogether untill it's sorted, maybe some easy carbo?

Wouldn't that just completely kill off the plants? I cant imagine the hc lasting very long without light, especially considering none of the plants have had time to establish themselves yet?

Lol james, thanks, but I don't think anything can actually go wrong with the wood... touch..wood?

I understood how You feel. For me always too all bad things in one time.

You can easily adjust steady 30ppm without any selenoid on 24/7, just need find right surface movement + water flow and if little swing-to low ph in night then add some extra airstone on night timer and if possible little moonlight.
I personaly tried, is hard but can adjust regular co2 24/7, ph drops only +-0.02
Possibly with low KH is more problem, i have approx. 8dkh.

Cheers

Just tried to get the solenoid off again, and its just not budging. To be honest it looks like its glued around the joint. Maybe because its an all in one azoo and they dont want people messing with it.

The guy hasnt got back to me yet but it is midnight in China :bored:
I've got a bad feeling he will want me to send it back, and wont replace until he recieves. Although hes already replaced the broken diffuser without asking me to send it back, but that was only a few quid, not 50.

Back