• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. It's Begun!

Graeme Edwards said:
andyh said:
So here it is without the stone on the right:
web.jpg

I think you could be right people! It looks better :thumbup:

What do we reckon?

Wahey, your finally getting it going...

Well mate, love the wood, but I know you can do better with the rocks. Your rushing it, take it easy and have a caramel.

Your sacpe is over weighted to the left. The other designs with the stone on the right was heading in the right direction. Balance out the wight of the wood and stones with something on the right and get those rocks looking liking they belong there....
Think about how the wood grows around the rock, or has it been washed down river and lodged there, how would it sit, how would the rocks need to be, to make it look natural? These are what you need to be asking your self mate.

It looks great, but I know you can do even better..... Am i being a pushy founder, lol You know I love ya mate :D x

Big G, though you had left the forum? :D

Glad you have commented as as i am not a 100% happy with the scaping, (how did you know i like caramels?)

I did intentionally weight to the left as i wanted a carpet of parvula on the right but the rocks have never quite well with me. The dragon stone presents a challange in its shapes, i find it quite challenging to play with.

Do you think i need wood on the right or just stones......Infact i can sense a rework coming on

Pushing me is good! not sure about the lovin though :lol: :lol: x

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank

web.jpg

i actually liked this layout :) .but kept my mouth shut as i usually get it wrong :rolleyes: :lol: .

big day tomorrow :D .

Andy..... I have just read Graeme's suggestions and have to say I agree with him, I use Drogon stone in both my scapes and like you found it hard to work with the shapes it presented(however it's great stuff!), so I stopped looking at the stones as individual pieces and instead looked to group them together, to help I followed the natural strata lines and flow of the rock patterns and stuck with the strata to link the stones and form a flowing form of stones made to look like one larger piece but broken up burying some parts further into the substrate and I started with the largest stone and got smaller the further away from the main stone I went to simulate the natural erosion of a river bank.

Hope this sort of makes sense, and hope this helps in some way......look at how saintly has linked the flow of his stones during the setup.

Just something else to think about!! Good luck with the planting tomorrow!! :thumbup:

Cheers Ben

Andy,
i am a newbie to a planted tank, but i am just green with envy..... your setups have been fantastic. Cant wait to see it develop :clap:

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank

nelson said:
i actually liked this layout :) .but kept my mouth shut as i usually get it wrong :rolleyes: :lol: .
big day tomorrow :D .
Nelson, never hold back on my journals dude! Its always good to get mixed comments :thumbup:
saintly said:
quality mate! :thumbup:
Cheers Mark
Robert Mck said:
Andy,
i am a newbie to a planted tank, but i am just green with envy..... your setups have been fantastic. Cant wait to see it develop :clap:
Thanks for the kind words Robert and weclome to UKAPS :thumbup:

So whilst its seemed most people were preparing to watch the football, I drove 70 miles over to TGM (roads were dead) and spent a couple of hours choosing plants and looking at the new scapes at TGM, Jim even made me 2 cups of coffee.
I bought all the plants, a few bits of livestock and also got to meet and talk planted tanks with UKAPS member Dave Spencer (nice to meet you :wave: ).

After much though i have completley re-worked the scape and it looks v different to the previous pics, as something didnt sit right with me about them. I was up to 1.30am planting last night, and my back/neck still hurts from leaning over the tank planting the hair grass, but it was worth it as i am really pleased with the end result. :D

Hopefully, i will get a few pics up tonight :geek:

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. Day One!

So here a few quick pics, the water is slightly off clear at the moment a combination on about 20l of Amazonia, lots of manzi wood and new dragon stone.

I have tried to create a valley/pathway which is all going to be Parvula (hair grasss leading through the two main rocks). I have also tried to control the amount of different plant species this time, and have chosen a number of plants which i haven't grown before.

The aren't the greatest photos i have taken as time is against me this evening, But I was keen to get some pictures up on day one:
web.jpg

web.jpg

The pathway
web.jpg

ADA Thermometer 10mm (couldn't resist another one of these beautys)
web.jpg

Cal Aqua 17mm Lily Pipe and intake (great because they have double suckers so very secure)
web.jpg

You can see here that the water aint clear in this shot, but i really like this end view:
web.jpg

Will try and get plant list up, but there a few of the new Tropica plants in there ;) :D

Thanks for looking and promise to get some good pics uploaded over the weekend :thumbup: :geek:

This is awesome. I like this even better then the other two as well, sort of an Andy style meets Mr Amano :thumbup:

My favourite part of it is the tension between the two large rocks.

I'm jealous of your 'clear' type thermometer as they only had the white background one when I got me a while back :thumbdown:. Maybe an excuse to get another :D ?

russchilds said:
Looks great! Really looking forward to watching this all grow in! I love all the kit like the ADA Thermometer & tank is brilliant!
Cheers Russ, I am really pleased with the kit, sold a fair bit of stuff on ebay to pay for all this stuff :shh:
bogwood said:
Looking good Andy..........nice choice of plants. :thumbup:
Your glassware looks well impressive. and not just the ADA thermometer. One of my favourites, dragon stone, nice positioning.
Cheers, glad you like it, the glassware really is excellent. Just need TGM to get me that Jet style Doaqua glassware and we are sorted.
NeilW said:
This is awesome. I like this even better then the other two as well, sort of an Andy style meets Mr Amano :thumbup:
My favourite part of it is the tension between the two large rocks.
I'm jealous of your 'clear' type thermometer as they only had the white background one when I got me a while back :thumbdown:. Maybe an excuse to get another :D ?
Neil, thanks dude, the two rocks look better in the flesh and once the parvula grows in should look sweet, had to get a second ADA thermometer as my other one is a 6mm and the tank is 10mm :geek: Get one i have both the white and the clear :D
Paulus said:
looking very good :D nice rocks and wood :) :thumbup:
Thanks Paulus :thumbup:

So here is a complete plant list:
web.jpg

All the plants are Tropica:

Eleocharis Parvula - Hair Grass (front between the two big rocks) I bought both normal pots and the new Tropica 1-2-Grow. I have to admit i like the 1-2-Grow as it was really really healthy and it was very dense indeed, would recommend :thumbup:
Microsorum "Narrow" - Narrow Leaf Java Fern (left side on rocks), got two massive pots, attached one two a piece of spare bogwood and the second directly to the rock. To do this i used superglue, works a treat.
Hygrophila Pinnatifida - Brand new to the Tropica Range, looks fern like (hard to spot but a couple of stems planted to the left of the Center rock, low down). This is a really nice looking plant :geek:
Pogostemon Erectus - Tall fine leafed stems (In the middle at the back). I believe that this is another new plant from Tropica. Looks fantastic, and according to them its not a super fast grower, which is good news :thumbup:
Staurogyne sp - Foreground stem plant (At the front on the left hand-side) I have had this before and its great. I am hoping to get more compact growth out of it this time, by pruning and having slightly more light.
Vallisneria Nana - Tall grass plant (planted back right behind the fern, cant really see it yet) This is a very fine but tall Vallis. It should over time create a nice wall along the back right and easily reach the surface.
Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' - Another New Tropica plant, grass style plant with Twisted green leaves. (back right corner)Apparently once established grows quickly. Which is good news as it was £12 for a pot! :crazy:

Oh then i added from my other tanks some Fissidens (on the branch in the center), some peacock moss and some christmas moss. (on the branches on the left)

I will try to put togther an up to date equipment list at some point soon, as you guys always seem to enjoy that bit :geek:
Thanks for looking
Andyh

JamesM said:
Top bombing bud, looks very nice :)

Now james, i have no idea what Top Bombing is!? (is that good) Is it welsh? :lol: :lol:

The dragon stone looks good doesnt it? That piece on the right is that massive piece u sold me, its deceptive it doesn't look that big but if you remember its about 50-60cm long!
:wave:

It's from a John Smiths advert, Peter kay does a canon ball of a diving board at the olympics and the commentator shouts "Top bombing!".

I agree though, it's going to be another pearler. I can't wait to see it all coming together for you. I bet it's the envy of your dad and brother.

Garuf's got it mate :D

Yeah, the stone was great, and I was glad you had that piece as I knew you'd use it well...

And I was gonna say, I bet your Dad is well jealous... when is he upgrading? :D

Looking great Andy, looking forward to seeing this one fill in, those thermometers are really gorgeous, got a couple myself last week and they are just stunning quality: http://www.lfkc.co.uk/index.php?topic=863.0

Congrats on what looks like so far another brilliant setup :)

Garuf said:
It's from a John Smiths advert, Peter kay does a canon ball of a diving board at the olympics and the commentator shouts "Top bombing!".
I agree though, it's going to be another pearler. I can't wait to see it all coming together for you. I bet it's the envy of your dad and brother.
Ahhhh I see, cheers for clearing that up Garuf, My dad and Brother aint seen it in the flesh yet, they should soon though. I suspect that they be suitably impressed. Dads been twekaing his current setup, but not sure what he has done yet :shh:
JamesM said:
Garuf's got it mate :D

Yeah, the stone was great, and I was glad you had that piece as I knew you'd use it well...
And I was gonna say, I bet your Dad is well jealous... when is he upgrading? :D

Dont start winding him up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LondonDragon said:
Looking great Andy, looking forward to seeing this one fill in, those thermometers are really gorgeous, got a couple myself last week and they are just stunning quality: http://www.lfkc.co.uk/index.php?topic=863.0
Congrats on what looks like so far another brilliant setup :)
Thanks Paulo, I cant wait for things to start growing as this is the stage i dont like! Prefer it when the plants look lush!
The ADA thermometers really are the dogs goolies!
Fingers crossed that this turns into something good o_O

Your London forum looks good dude :thumbup:

Day 3

So i have completed the first water change today, i did a 50% WC. This imeditaly eradicated the yellow tinge to the water and its now crystal clear! :D. I added ADA Brighty K,and then some ADA green gain to help the plants recover, from the initial prune when i planted them.

I have also added a small shoal of Cardinal Tetras, they look incredible against the black background and the green of the plants. Some people may think 'what about the ammonia from the Amazonia?' I am using very mature media in my filters so this easily combats this. I have done this a couple of times before and measured the ammonia for 3-4 weeks and i struggled to get ammonia readings on my test kit. I am also completing a minimum of 2 water changes per week at the moment so this will also help. :geek:

This is a little photo heavy and a bit better quality compared to the last few i took. Albeit, there not even in the same league as the likes of Saintly, Tonser, GF etc, so I apologise!

web.jpg

The view from the other side of the Lounge:
web.jpg

My chair! :geek: (dont tell the wife :shh: )
web.jpg

The Hygrophila Pinnatifida, really unusual looking plant (fern-like).
web.jpg

The Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' (front right) which i think is great, Thanks Tonser for showing it to me! Had to prune it quite hard to get rid of the older leaves, but have been told it will grow back v.quick.
web.jpg

The Dragon stone
web.jpg

The equipment inside my cabinet:
web.jpg

Eheim 2075 - 1250lph
Eheim 2324 - Thermo filter 700lph
Up Aqua Inline CO2 Diffuser, on the 2324 outlet.
JBL CO2 gauges, currently with a disposable bottle, will be connecting a 3kg to it soon (via jbl adaptor). CO2 on two hours b4 lights for 6hrs, Drop checker kept Green.
Current Lights Temporary (Arcadia 4 x24w T5HO) until MH arrives end of August. Lights on 7 HRS per day.

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Back