• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marine style planted tank?

Tunafish

Pike man
Good day people!,

Im thinking of doing a marine style planted freshwater tank and am looking for inspiration. Either from people who have done it, or anyone with any good pics of ones done previously. Also if anyone has any good pics of actual marine planted tanks.

Cheers guys!

Marine style as in a marine planted tank? If you search for macro algae tanks there's a few out there, bit of a niché market though. George has on in his 7 years of scaping thread, there's a few on nano reef and reef central.

I'm afraid from an aquascaping standpoint, most of the best reefs take all their hints from planted tanks, there's very little to learn from a fruit stall type reef tank in my opinion.

Tunafish said:
Im thinking of doing a marine style planted freshwater tank and am looking for inspiration.
HI Tunafish. I think you mean a freshwater aquascape in a reef style?

If so there's not many attempts at this, as most reef tanks use banks of rock and corals to aquascape, that differ very much in terms of form, colour and texture from what you can achieve with most plants.

I have seen a 'freshwater reef' done with lots of mosses but cannot remember exactly where. I can recommend looking through the AGA showcase though, as I'm sure it's on there somewhere.

Hi George,

Yes your'e right, I did mean a freshwater aquascape. I've currently bred two pairs of Lamprologus Brichardi and have well over a hundred babies, in four different stages of growth and basically wanted to put together a system for them similar to a Tanganyikan scape but something more interesting with sand and hardscape. I'd seen your marine style tank you'd done and probably would go down a similar path.

cheers

Nicholas

Back