• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI flow is enough ? Is worth to start ?

arty

Hello,
I know rulles say x10 min. with EI
BUT
i setup small 80-100L tank with aqua clay and covered some places with slates and stones - looks like iwagumi style.
Small internal filter, i don't know exact how much is flow, maybe 100-250l/h, but realy not 10x, weak filter.
I specialy adjusted outflow little to up on to surface because this aqua clay is realy sensitive and if will be bigger flow then can be bingo lotto all around in tank
Flow going all over tank and touch all places, all plants moving also bottom smallest plants slightly moving.
I will go some time on this setup with EI and easycarbo + T5 38wx2 , lights in start i think only some 4hr due i have daylight from window but not sunligt side, latter i will setup presurised co2

Is worth to start EI regime Or i can get real trouble due flow or Easycarbo ?

Best Regards,

From reading nearly every thing clive posts doesing EI can only help but 1x tank flow is very low 3x is recomended just for normal tanks you might find it causes you problems

I think make start with half ferts dose and only 1 bulb 38w on 4hr, that 2w/gal a lot light for start

Thanks for advice danmil. You know some good substrat-soil-granules on budget for EI ? Seems aqua clay is for low tech tanks. Simply gravel i don't like and to big for very small plants.

Regards,

It isn't the dosing method that dictates what flow you should have, but the amount of lighting. More light=more CO2 and more nutrients. Which means more flow in order to deliever these to the plants.
ADA soil, florabase and oliver knott soil are all clay based so I wouldn't say it was just for low tech.

I would start dosing EI straight away if i were you , its already been proven time and time again that excess nutrients do not cause problems, but poor flow/poor co2.

The old wpg rule was devised for t8 tubes , and really has very little relevence with t5/MH lights , with the light you have you best have your ferts and co2 sorted or you will have algae problems for sure, i`d start with just one tube if possible.

I think most clay based substrates have the ability to absorb and store nutrients from the water aswell, so dosing will help build up a reserve there aswell, which gives you more wiggle room.

Hi,
Real thanks for advice Burnleygaz, i followed Yours direction and looks much better situation in new setup.
I left single tube 38w. Thats 2wpg.
I got diatoma again near internal filter and doubled EI macros, every three days change 60% water and looks much better now. I think now in every new setup with high light need fert at max., also unknown how much ferts absorb clay substrate, probably there left in water after dosage only minimal amount.

Best Regards,

Back