• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paul's 200L, "Punishment of Luxury"

George Farmer said:
Consider that plants do not have to contrast all the time...
You're right, of course, George. I think I'm over-focussed on leaf contrast at the mo' because I'm also wrestling with a corner of my garden where I have five (count 'em!) different plants with similarly shaped leaves. It's right outside my back door, so it offends me every time I go in and out :mad:

That's one helluva Mother, George :silent: .

Not much happening at the moment, we've had a house full of friends and their small children, so the tank now has lots of sticky marks on the front glass.

Seeing that amazing video of the Amano tanks, I was impressed with the way he banks up the substrate so theatrically (at about 2.40-45,I think). I'm now thinking of ordering another bag of Aquasoil and giving it a go.

Oliver Knott was also being outrageous with (TGM's) bags of Aquasoil on Sunday. So I bought another bag, banked it up, and here's the result:

dscf0001xn.jpg
#

Sorry about the reflections. I reckon the dynamic curve of the substrate makes a big difference - only problem is, I'm now wondering if I should chuck yet another bag in! :lol:

saintly said:
you da rock man!

nice....and different if i may so. you gota be close to planting?
Thanks Mark. I'm very close to planting, but my approach to these things is to constantly look for excuses to delay, and only take the next step when I run out of excuses. The current (and probably final) excuse is that I need a clear window to do the planting and the initial daily water changes, and I've got stuff arranged that's stopping that happening. But it'll be soon - very soon!

I'm now looking for a retailer who can supply a Tunze Osmolator for auto top-ups and an SP3000 dosing pump for the ferts.

Just a little tease - here's the tank with Oliver Knott-style static window film(foil o_O ) and backlit using a cupboard light fitting and a 15w pygmy bulb:
dscf0007hq.jpg

The we should see it soon with plants and water. This should be a good one. Those are great stones that you selected. Where did you get them?

This has got to be one of the slowest start-ups ever on UKAPS. The tank was supposed to be a 50th birthday present to myself, but my birthday was back in July! I'm thinking of renaming it "Deferred Gratification"...

Spec-
Tank size: 100cmx45cmx55cm high, c. 200 litres, opti-white (12ml glass) on ADA-style cabinet, all from Aquariums Ltd
Filter: Eheim Thermo 2180 filled with Siporax, standard green pipes and spraybar on back wall
Light: Arcadia Series 4, 150w MH plus 2x24w T5
Co2: TGM pressurised set-up - 3KG bottle via Aquamedic reactor filled with Siporax, with solenoid
Ferts: EI all-in-one via dosing pump, home-brewed from dry powders
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia over ADA Powersand Special
Hardscape: Seiryu stone
Flora: all Tropica from TGM; HC Cuba x14, Pogostemon Helferi x7, Eleocharis Parvula x7, Staurogyne x5, Hydrocotyle Verticillata x5 (only used 2 pots), Rotala Rotundifolia x5, Vallisneria nana x5, Limnobium laevigatum x1.

Lights on 6hrs (2x24w T5s only, luminaire up high)
Co2 on 7hrs (on 2hrs before lights on, off 1hr before lights off)

dscf0007fl.jpg

dscf0010vq.jpg

dscf0016.jpg

Thanks for looking - as they say...

Thanks guys - it's great to have finally got this thing fired up. I'm gonna put up a thankyou list of all the people who have helped with this - it'll be a very long list!

Great planting Paul, that HC will look sweet. Not sure the vallis fits with everything else but does hide the pipe work, nicley. Get that CO2 nice and high and watch the lawn grow ! T

Back