• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

best way to trim my java fern to get a nice look

alan_uk

i was just wondering what is the best way to trim java fern and how i go about it i know to many of you this will sound like a really daft question but i just dont know what to do

i seen this scape done by george farmer

80cmmothermicrosoriumfj7.png

and see the beautiful look of the java fern

and mine looks like this :(

DSC03187.jpg

please could someon tell me or help with some info on how to get my ferns to look like this

thank you :thumbup:

I've found that with this plant, it takes a long time for it to establish itself before beginning to grow, mine looked awful for about 4-5 weeks and then it suddenly grew very quickly.

aww cool

so its just basically a case of good things come to those who wait lol

im kind of everything has to be done yesterday and very impatient and really need to slow down lol

thank you though for clearing that up for me :)

belive me the pictures do it justice it dont look as good close up :)

ive added some new to try and make it look better

DSC03233.jpg

DSC03232.jpg

i think its now getting there
:thumbup:

From experience, the trick is to let it grow for the first few months but maintain a vigilant eye on it. Cut off any leaves that are growing too long or in the wrong direction. You need to monitor the rhizomes too, it can really grow once it takes off and grow beyond the wood/rock it is attached to. If you let it outgrow itself, its gonna be really difficult to trim later.

Hope this helps.

Back