• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flow in my tank is it ok

alan_uk

just wanted to ask as i just inserted my new 3000lph power head wave maker and my harlequin rasboras and platy are getting blown about a bit

ive noticed since fitting it that the oily residue on top of the water has gone and also the mass of co2 bubbles that used to gather on the top have also gone :)

but i just wanted some reassurance that this wont be a major problem and wont harm my fish at all

thank you
alan :thumbup:

hi the tank is

2'x2'x15" long x high x deep

and its an aqua one 620t

running trickle filter in hood with 650lph power head which wasnt circulating at all

its not making a mess of the tank im just worried about the fish really as its more than turning the tank over the 10x rule :)

I would imagine it depends in your fish, lake fish and river fish would have different requirements. My barbs just love the current, especially in confined spaces it's like swimming on the spot, probably helps them breathe with water moving over their gills but they would also consume more oxygen, need more food. Do they look knackered? :) Do they have places to rest? The barbs I have seemingly have favourite spots where they like to "sleep".

hi yea there is plenty of spots to go to hide from it behind the wood at the back but its the harlequins they seem to stick at the top and keep in it weather or not its because they prefer it there i dont know but the platy are fine and the shrimp aint fussed in the slightest :)

I've never had surface dwelling fish so I can't comment but as a "rule", if your using co2 then you don't want much surface movement since it speeds up co2 escape into the atmosphere.

ahh i am using co2 but it seemed to gater a whole load of bubbles on the surface and oily residue and the fish seemed to always be at the surface looking for air and since i moved the flow to move the surface all the above have been solved :thumbup:

the oily residue is probably organic compounds, your not exactly solving this problem by aggitating the surface, your just hiding it :)

fish dont breathe air, well bettas do and others will gulp air in order to change their buoyancy by pushing it into their swim bladder

I don't know much about flow tbh, I've just redone my tank so everything is in the middle, nothing touching the glass, the theory being I don't have to think about it so much since the flow goes around the outside of the glass, a heavily planted tank would have issues

If you can't solve a problem, just sidestep it :thumbup:

ah i didnt know that i just thought it was due to poor movement thank you for the info :)

Back