• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Cichlids

Jake :D

Seedling
Is there any suitable dwarf cichlids for a 35l aquarium.I was thinking of keeping just a pair of either some apistogramma or similar?

You should be able to keep a pair of Apistogrammas in that size tank. I've bred A cacatuoides in a 45 x 30 x 30 (40 litre) tank, and A nijsseni in a 45 x 37 x 37 (60 litre tank).

Change lots of water, provide them with enough hiding places, and make sure there are enough places for the female to swim out of sight of the male - they would be my best tips for trying to keep them in a 35 litre aquarium.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Hi all,
I think it is too small for cichlids, but you may well be all right if you follow Vauxhallmark's recommendation. The best option would be a pair of Apistogramma borellii, but these are not easy to find and you have to be careful not to get A. "steel-blue" which are nice in themselves, but a lot more aggressive.

I like Killi's as well, and a trio of Aphyosemion australe would be great. Another possibility is Dario dario or D. hysginon, but all the ones I've seen for sale are males, and you would need a pair or trio. They are tiny but think they are cichlids.

A final option would be some of the more unusual Betta's, Betta imbellis? perhaps.

cheers Darrel

You could try badis. not actually cichlids but show most of the same behaviour and are very pritty. There are a few different species around at the moment as well.

Rob

Hi all,
Badis is a good shout, Dario and Badis are closely related, with the smaller species of Badis now in the genus Dario (so Badis dario is now Dario dario). I'm keen on these, but I've yet to find a female for sale.

These are the data for Badis ruber <http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Badis&species=ruber&id=737>. This has some taxonomic details at the bottom.

cheers Darrel

Darrel,
If you are looking then BAS had Badis sp. Buxar. Stunning species. They did have males and females a few weeks ago, a friend of mine picked up 2 pairs.
There have also been Badis Bengalensis in a fish shop in Stockport whose name escapes me. I beleive there were a limited number of females. I am fairly sure these have sold now but you never know.
Rob

Hi all,
Thanks Robert, I thinkthat is probably too far away for me (I'm in between Bath, Bristol and Swindon), but Mike (at Amazon Tropicals in Warminster) is keeping an eye out for me, and I'm going upto Parkers in Iron Acton with some fish later in the week, and Paddy there is also looking out for them. The Maidenhead Aquatics (Leekes at Melksham) literally 5 minutes down the road had Dario hysignon, but they were all males.

cheers Darrel

Back