• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Shady Glen - The Recovery - Photographs

Garuf said:
The TLC is paying off, it really looks the part!

Yes TLC mixed with a large dose of determination tempered with a little patience = result.
Thanks,

Steve

Burnleygaz said:
Looking nice again after the nuking :p
The photo's don't really do it justice, you should see it in real life, I am well chuffed. :thumbup:

hijac said:
yup coming back nicely,

re:lighting = ive got 2x24w on my corner, with a aqua beam led thingy. i'm inspired to see you have HC going happily in there, ive been shying away from the lower carpeting plants. You have inspired me to give it a go next rescape.
best regards,

john

Hi John, yes the HC is doing better than I expected. need to keep the dwarf hair grass in check though other wise it buries the HC.

Cheers Steve.

a1Matt said:
What a fantastic journal :clap:

Great humour and writing style; the posts about the aquasoil with the pictures of rubble in the skip in particular had me creasing up.

The lavarock\eggcrate wall is really original and looks great too. I think that will inspire a few people.

Really sad about your liquid carbon overdose, but great to see you get back on track so quickly :thumbup:

I also met you at the TGM meet :wave:

Thanks for the CLAP Matt I am really glad you liked it, it made someone happy. I had my doubts at first but you should see it now. New pictures coming soon.

Steve.

flygja said:
That shot of pearling Riccia after that shot of melting moss.. you must be real happy with the turnaround!

You bet, I moved the filter inlet pipe above the CO2 diffuser and changed the angle on the glass lily pipe to redirect the flow and voila - hey presto everything pearling like mad. You should have seen the amount of cuttings I had after the first trim. I have planted up my spare tank in the garage with the cuttings alone. Apart from the mosses I have almost got as many plants as I started with originally :D

Cheers, Steve.

LondonDragon said:
Master recovery well done Steve, really liking the tank now, how about some larger frontal shots?

Good work and keep it up :) TLC is what every tank needs ;)

Thanks LD, if I ever had any doubts when writing this journal on how it would turn out they are all gone now. I would highly recommend it. I just put some threadfin rainbows and a couple more ember tetras in today and it looks amazing.

As requested, some larger frontal shots on their way very soon. Thanks for all the encouragement after the disaster.

Thanks, Steve.

I am really glad that your efforts are paying off. It must have been very frustrating to see it all go wrong. Its all learning.

Re: A Shady Glen - The Recovery - New Photographs

Hi, As per LD's request I have taken some photographs tonight and saved them on Photobucket in a slightly larger format, I had to wait until it was dark outside so as to avoid the glare and reflections coming through the dining room window.

The pictures don't do full justice but it is the best I can do with the camera that I have got. Here goes, I hope you enjoy them.

101_0337.jpg

There is just a tiny spot at the back exposed where the eggshell crate is still visible, I am sorting that this weekend with a nice piece of wood with flame moss on that I have been growing on.

101_0338.jpg

101_0341.jpg

101_0342.jpg
8)

View of the left side along the top of the wall
101_0343.jpg

101_0344.jpg

Looking from the right side through to the back

101_0345.jpg

101_0349.jpg

The Java Fern has sprouted the new plants really well now

The Dwarf Hair grass looking nice and green and really getting stuck into the ADA soil with the roots

101_0351.jpg

Roots covered in Riccia and moss

101_0353.jpg

101_0358.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures LD and anyone else who has read the journal and seen the 'disaster' photos.

Update in a few weeks,

Cheers

Steve :wave:

Thanks, I am really pleased with it now. I will just have to see how long I can keep as good as it is even though I know it will evolve over time.

Steve

ps Occasionally at work I get the chance to log on to the UKAPS site and have look at what is going on. Can anyone tell me why I can't see the photographs on my own posts, just a white box with a red cross in it, and yet on every one else's posts I can see the pictures as well??? :?

Re: A Shady Glen - Overgrown Already Pictures now before tri

In the space of two weeks the tank has gone ballistic!! Big trim coming up this weekend. Here are the photo's of how it looks now.

101_0374-1.jpg

101_0375-1.jpg

101_0376-1.jpg

101_0377-1.jpg

101_0378-1.jpg

101_0379-1.jpg

101_0380-1.jpg

101_0381-1.jpg

101_0382-1.jpg

101_0383-1.jpg

101_0384-1.jpg

101_0369-1.jpg

The Dwarf Hair Grass has completely swamped the Hemianthus, so I am trimming it out this weekend. If anyone wants any let me know. It is free if you live nearby and want to pick it up!!

101_0370-1.jpg

101_0371-1.jpg

101_0372-1.jpg

101_0373-1.jpg

Loads of stems and hairgrass available if you want any, free if you can pick it up.

Cheers Steve

Looking Fantastic! I can see this image was taken right at the end of the photo period? The rotala is firmly closed up for the night :D

saintly said:
Looking Fantastic! I can see this image was taken right at the end of the photo period? The rotala is firmly closed up for the night :D

Thanks Saintly, I'll take that as a big compliment coming from you. 8)

Yes you are right the photo was taken about nine o clock in the evening. I have to wait until it is dark outside to avoid the reflections from the window outside.

Cheers,

Steve.

chilled84 said:
Ha Ha where is the algae you git lol Joke. You have done so well! Thats amazing. The growth is out of this world! :thumbup:

Thanks chilled, no algae whatsoever in sight, you wouldn't believe how pleased I am especially after the slight hiccup with the Flourish Excel. I am still using the stuff, but ever so carefully!!

Patience is a virtue.

Steve.

Ray said:
Love it Steve, truly a work of madcap genius and good to see you still around too!

Is this Eusteralis Stellata or Limnophilia Aromatica?
101_0379-1.jpg

I had some once, it used to take over like yours, but I'd weep every time I trimmed it.

Ray, I am honoured to be called a madcap genius, I must admit I had my doubts when I first set about this idea with the eggshell crate and I did think that I was taking a risk (bit of a nutter) but seeing how it has turned out it was worth it. I would highly recommend it.

Compare what it started off like to now.

At the start.

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

Now!

101_0382.jpg

The large stems are I think Limnophilia Aromatica and yes it does hurt when you have to prune them out. I reckon I have chopped about three feet off in cuttings. :(

Cheers,

Steve

was looking for this thread earlier and there it is!!

I was having a look through corner scaped tanks when i got my corner 8 months ago, and this thread came up in a google image search. It was good to read it again, and the tank looks brilliant!

Ian

i can't remember now, it was something along the lines of Trigon scape/corner scape. It linked to this journal.

Back