• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

Also I know this maybe a bit off but maybe some little moss stones dotted around.

fantasic hardscape george. the snowdonia area does give some great inspiration for nature and rock scapes. I just got some E. acicularis from a garden centre pond section the other day for my next scape but was thinking of using parvula for the front as well. I think the fish choice will work really well too.

+1 to the graded gravels comment. The roundish pebbles don't really match the rocks well, unless you're thinking of creating "rivers". The placement of the big rocks are awesome though! They must be pretty huge to create that sense of scale in a 60cm tank. And I agree, some E.acicularis or E.parvula at the back would give the scape much grandeur.

Minimalist + elegant :thumbup:

Inspired by a recent mountaineering expedition to Snowdonia.

Didn't know you were a climber George, me too!.

ghostsword said:
JamesM said:
Looks great G, what about some tenellus as an addition though?

Tenellus would look great, leaping over the rocks..

One question, why isn't the small rock on the left side pointing on the same direction as the others?
I won't be using E. tenellus for the reasons I've mentioned, although I did consider it and can see it working well. However, this will be low maintenance, so it's a trade-off.

The stone facing the other direction gives a sense of tension to the design. Some may like that, others may not. That's art for you!

Thanks, Luis. It also jumps out at me, but bear in mind the planting will soften the tension.

Allow me to elaborate.

Although a good hardscape selection and design is important, especially in an Iwagumi, it's also important to consider how the planting will influence the balance of the layout. Unfortunately it's taken years for me to understand this concept enough to implement it effectively, and I've so much more to learn yet!

Thanks George.

It has taken you years to learn the techniques, I still do not understand them. :)

I can grow plants, but aquascaping does not seem very easy, I will follow this thread as it starts from the beginning, with the rocks.

Tension I can now see how it works, as my eyes were drawn to the small rock, even that larger rocks were about. It seems that we are somewhat trained (subconsciously) to look for anything out of the pattern. It is almost diconcerting, at least for me.

One question, when you are choosing the plants to keep, how do you stick a list? I haven't learned that yet. :)

George, you never fail to make me jealous :lol: Scape looks great, and plant and fish choice sounds pretty awesome too :)

ghostsword said:
I can grow plants, but aquascaping does not seem very easy...:)
Well, growing plants is relatively easy. Especially with the great selection of planted tank products these days. As little as five years ago this was not the case in the UK. The high quantity of good quality information that is freely available on resources like UKAPS has also helped enormously. I am particularly proud to be part of that, if I'm honest.

Aquascaping is a very different case to plant growing.

You can read all you like, study all the great 'scapers, but there's no substituting personal experience and practice.

Few get a great aquascape with their first attempt (although it's becoming more common for the reasons mentioned above; better products and knowledge). But it takes a good deal of time and effort to become a great aquascaper (I do not consider myself in that group, by the way). Learning how different plants grow, their growth rates in different conditions, the way they interact with other plants and hardscape, they way they respond to pruning and other maintenance tasks.... The list is almost endless and they all influence the aquascape.

Then there is the minefield of choosing hardscape and plants, and their layout... Copying others is a good idea until you gain enough confidence to try our your own ideas. Mark (saintly) will readily admit to doing this by using a lot of Amano's work as influence. Most of us are influenced by other aquascapes and aquascapers, especially Amano, me included. He changed my life!

There's two main schools of thought with regards aquascaping experience.

1) Churn out as many aquascapes as you can.
2) Keep an aquascape going for the long-term.

Each has their merits. The Champagne solution is to have both a long-term aquascape, and a play tank where you can produce new aquascapes as often as you dare (or can afford).

Type 1 will benefit from new hardscape design experience and learning about different plant species.
Type 2 will benefit from seeing how plants grow and change over time. Maintaining a planted tank in the long-term is an incredibly valuable lesson too, in my experience.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

One question, when you are choosing the plants to keep, how do you stick a list? I haven't learned that yet.
I have an idea about the aquascape in my mind. It usually starts with the hardscape, then I think about what plants will suit both the hardscape and the overall design. This was the case with this Iwagumi, for instance.

Sometimes it's the other way around. I want to have a 'scape dominated with a certain plant i.e. crypts. Then I'll think about what hardscape I can use to compliment the plants and design idea I have. This was the case my my 120cm Crypt Eternal aquascape.

I hope that helps.

Hi all
George Farmer said:
The high quantity of good quality information that is freely available on resources like UKAPS has also helped enormously. I am particularly proud to be part of that, if I'm honest.
And so you should be George.
I for one, have learnt bundles round here and can now grow a tank full of plants instead of a tank full of algae :lol: and that's thanks to you guys.
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

You are right George, with the amount of help and information UKAPS has, it is hard not to grow plants.

About scapes.. I am copying yours.. :)

I have lots of ideas, but it is hard to put them on a live tank, as I do not know enough about plant growth and how to match them.

Got a tank that is 100cm by 50cm tall and 35 cm wide, so I will sort of copy it, keeping only my java fern on wood, and getting new rocks.

Your contribution has invaluable to the planted tank movement in the UK, yours and the other founders.

You can read all you like, study all the great 'scapers, but there's no substituting personal experience and practice.

I would say that with practice most people can produce a nice aquascape that is technically right following certain rules of aesthetics, but then there is the leap which comes with the personal talents of the individuals. It is a form of art afterall.

As ever - this is awe inspiring in the truest senses of both words...

I have a question - wherever did you find that cracking rock? Every time I go into a garden centre, I look at the rock through scaping eyes now - and have yet to see anything that matches yours. Did you go to a quarry? 'Borrow' some in a rucsac from Snowdonia? What?

thanks for the inspiration

mx

magpie said:
As ever - this is awe inspiring in the truest senses of both words...

I have a question - wherever did you find that cracking rock? Every time I go into a garden centre, I look at the rock through scaping eyes now - and have yet to see anything that matches yours. Did you go to a quarry? 'Borrow' some in a rucsac from Snowdonia? What?

thanks for the inspiration

mx
Thanks, Manda.

The rock is Mini Landscape Rock. It's also known as Seiryu Stone. It's available from our sponsors; Aqua Essentials, The Green Machine, Plantedbox.com and Aquajardin. :D

So I spent a couple of hours yesterday transferring the rocks and substrate over to my 60x30x36cm German opti-white (from Aqua Essentials).

I filled the water incredibly slowly to avoid clouding (there was still a bit) and disturbing the gravel slope. There was a 30 litre water drum on top of a chair, on top of a table, siphoning through the blue 6mm hose.

4786847587_c5f008e196_b.jpg

I liked Gareth's suggestion of smashing up rock to get smaller pieces, but decided to use pieces of grey gravel instead. I still need to use a bit more.

To get the grey bits I used tweezers and pulled them from a pile of Unipac Nordic gravel that's 98% white.

4786935009_c4aacc1565_z.jpg

4786933741_80a0cf5121_z.jpg

On the way from Plantedbox.com I have a few pots of Eleocharis acicularis that will be planted this weekend.

What do you think of the pale background vs. the black in the first post of this thread? Whichever I choose totally influences my fish selection...

Back