• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apistogramma macmasteri breeding tank - Planning

murph

I'm now planning my third tank.

I currently have my 260l community tank and my wee nano - both high tech.

After a bit or research I've decided I'd like to have a go at keeping: and breeding some dwarf cichlids. I really like the look of A. Macmasteri. A stunning little fish.

I don't know if I should just keep one breeding pair or 6-8 fish? What size of tank, I've possibly got a 120l tank coming my way. should it be kept in a species only tank or are they compatable with shrimp/small tetras?

Also low tech or high tech? I've a mate whos having really good success with a huge low tech tank which tempts me slightly, cheaper and less upkeep.

Without a report from the water board I can only assume that my Ayrshire tapwater is relatively soft so I may not need to go down the RO route.

Planting and hards scape will be manzi wood and crypts, ferns and whatever else suits the fish. I've read about using oak leaves covering the substrate, wold this bee a good idea? A bit more research and I might go for a biotope.

Hi Murph
I'm not to sure on this species,but i keep jewel cichlids many moons ago.
They spawned on slate,the water parameters would be very similar to yours.
Also i had sand I think this was swimming pool filter media as substrate no plants though.
Crypts would be okay I think.
2 males 1 female .
hoggie

Cheers Hoggie, Did you manage to raise many fry? what size tank were you keeping them in?

Hi all,
Youre best bet is a male and 4 or 5 female harem, the male will have a super territory, and each female will hold a territory around a cave (they are cave spawners). You could try 2 males and 4/5 females, but you may well find the males will fight. If you go for very dense planting and lots structure you should be all right. They are unusual for Apistogramma as they can be either pair forming or harem breeding (even when spare females exist), so you may eventually end up with 2 pairs.

Have a look at <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_macmasteri.php> and <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>. I've got plenty more information for Apistogrammas generally and worm culture etc if you need them, just PM me.

cheers Darrel

Cheers darrel, what size of tank would you reccommend for that type of set up?

Hi all,
what size of tank would you reccommend for that type of set up?"
usually about 12" square for each female with a cave, the depth is unimportant, although you can extend the territories upwards with planted bog-wood etc.

This is breeding tank for a pair of A. hongsloi.

Sand_Leaves_Plants.jpg

They are compatible with small Tetras, I've used Pencils and Black Neons successfully, I've also had Marbled Hatchets which worked well, but I never got to breed. Tetras that are more bottom orientated or solitary like Emperor/Neon/Cardinal/Pristella Tetras, or very fast and nippy - Serpae, aren't as good. Most Apistogramma keepers keep Pencils as dithers, but Black Neons have worked really well for me and they colour up well in soft water.

Have a look at Bob's page here, it really tells you all you need to know.
http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Good_habitat.php

cheers Darrel

I keep my A. Baenschi pair in a 125ltr, heavily planted with anubis, crypts and ferns, lots of caves, wood and leaf litter, I really don't see them oftem, but they do breed on a regular basis.

I have only pencils in with mine Nannostomus eques and Nannostomus beckfordi

Back