• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First attempt advice please

Pops

Hi everyone!

I`d love to supply you with a pic of my tank but can`t at present. Any way I have an Arcadia Arc 20L tank lit by 2 Arcadia 9watt small tank lights for 8 hrs per day.I`ve used ADA Aqua soil Amazon for substrate and have planted the following,

Crypt. wendtii Tropica
Crypt. parva
Hygrophila difformis
Marsilea hirsuta.

1 small internal filter and a small hang on filter both are cleaned twice a week when I do a 20% water change. Livestock are 4 Cardinals and 2 Otto`s which are all healthy.

I dose daily 2 drops Sera Flore daydrops and 0.5ml Easycarbo.
I also have a small piece of what I think is Japanese blue rock ( from TGM retailer)
After 3 months of running my rock has the beginnings of a smooth green algae forming and the Marsilea and Crypt. parva have a dark, "tufty" kind of algae forming. the Crypt Tropica and Hygrophila are quite lush and the stem plant has been trimmed once already. What would you do to rid the tank of the algae?

thanks

Hi Welcome Pops
You have done well so far.I would cut back on your lighting 6 hours a day or use just one 9 watt unit 8 hours a day.
Also clean your internal filter once a week to produce its best output flow rate,clean the hang on every 2/3 weeks.
Do a 50% water change once a week,gravel clean remove algae covered leaves.
Get some floating plants to diffuse the light or use some of the hygro on the surface.Use some faster growing plants also.
I'm not sure on the liquid fertilizers your using but it will be probably cheaper if you go down the Estimated Index route.
As you do regular water changes this would be best suited to you anyway.
Purchasing a small external filter would be beneficial if you have the finances also a Co2 drop checker to monitor the level of Co2 in your aquarium.
Sounds as though you have small amounts of black brush algae.
Look here for info http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Regards
hoggie

What good external filter would you recommend for my 20L tank?

Hi Pops
Eheim ecco are very reliable and the build is good, the flow is adjustable through the in and out flow pipes.
They are a bit tricky to get running at first but after you have used it a few times it will become easier.
The other is a Tetratec 600 this has a self priming button so this is more user friendly,it also has adjustable flow.
Both of these you could probably find on EBay second hand or new.
Here are a few tips..... check the O rings for rough finishes and remove with fine wet and dry finishing diy paper then use vaseline on the rings and the head of the filter for a water tight seal.
This is directed more at the O ring on the Tetratec.Ive never needed to do that with a Eheim filter I just used vaseline for a good seal.
Keep the in and out flow pipes full of water this will help you to start the filters up after cleaning.
Place a plastic tub under the filter to catch drips and small water spillage from the filter.
I use a large used plastic meat package container under the filter this the ideal size.
I would go with the Tetratec if your not that hands on, its easier all round and the pipes are grey in colour, not green that you get with the Eheim although you can change them.At more cost.Anymore questions feel free.
That's all for now. :thumbup:
Regards
hoggie

An external filter on a 20L tank? Would this not be overkill? The Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (smallest Ecco) quotes an output of 500 lph - assuming vol. of water is 18L (allowing for substrate + décor) then that would be a theoretical turnover of almost 28 times.
Before you explore the filtration route I would look at adjusting lighting you have 2x 9 W lights over 20 L which is roughly 3.6 W/US gal. Try using just one light instead of two.

There are loads of very similar posts like yours in the algae section of the forum but essentially for CO2 related algae problems the cure is getting the Light and CO2 balance right for your tank.

Hi Brenmuck
Not really as the flow is adjustable on the in flow and out flow taps.
So in essence you can change the flow/turnover of the water volume.
As the filter media matures and slows the filter down you can open the taps more to increase turnover.
This lets you know that your filter needs cleaned in the next few weeks.
I use a eheim ecco on a 36 litre with no problems regarding flow/output.
Regards
hoggie

Thanks for the advice. I`ll take on board what`s been said and give it a month then report back.

Brenmuk said:
An external filter on a 20L tank? Would this not be overkill? The Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (smallest Ecco) quotes an output of 500 lph

I use one of these on my 17 litre AE optiwhite and it works a treat. Flat out too :lol:

NeilW said:
Brenmuk said:
An external filter on a 20L tank? Would this not be overkill? The Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (smallest Ecco) quotes an output of 500 lph

I use one of these on my 17 litre AE optiwhite and it works a treat. Flat out too :lol:

Wow that gives a theoretical turnover of ~30x. Your fish must be fit. :twisted:

Someone will post next saying they have 20,000 l/h on a jam jar pico set up

I have to admit I recently upgraded my Eheim Ecco Pro 200 (600 l/h) to a Eheim 2073 Professional 3 350 Filter (1050 l/h) on my 100 l tank. That still only gives me a theoretical turnover of 10x.

Brenmuk said:
Wow that gives a theoretical turnover of ~30x. Your fish must be fit. :twisted:
Many people use the same filter on the ADA Mini-M which is similar dimensions.

I only have one fish and hes a bottom dwelling Otto. Theres plenty of calm spots in the tank too. TBH the flow isn't as severe as it sounds; it looks well over rated by Eheim and the flow in mine is reduced as it has to go through both an inline heater and a smaller then standard tube on the outlet. The plants only give a gentle sway.

Please bear in mind the wpg rule changes with the tank size, in your case i wouldnt go lower light than you have. Larger tanks need much less wpg for the same result. Discussed externals would just be right size for you 20l. You dont need to reduce the flow as the real flow taking into account filter media etc. would be much lower than lph claimed by the manufacturer. I am not the liquid carbon fan but as you are using it anyway try to spot dose maybe if the situation with bba is not too bad. I would also probably try upping the dose to 1ml but be careful here ;)
What i wanted to say is basically in the same situation i wouldnt lower the light and external filter's turnover if you get one but thats only me.

Back