• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

George Farmer said:
Thanks, Gareth.

To help keep algae at bay I thought I'd use nitrate and phosphate removal resins combined with a midday siesta and special plant growth tubes that grow plants but not algae... Also a really low turnover to prevent too much oxygen that also causes algae. Maybe some big plecs in there too. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Hi George,ive not been on in a while (bloody night shifts)and i have so many journals to catch up with,well i have read through yours and i think if it does well it could be one of your best,your choice if fish if you stick with them will great,your rock work is your best yet in my opinion,i love the grey gravel you have used and i cant wait for you to get ot planted up,Oh i love the name too :thumbup: ,
regards,
john.

PS: you gotta love that GARUF he is unique.

George Farmer said:
Hi Andy

ADA Phyton Git is an anti-algae product and ADA Green Bacter apparently helps the beneficial bacterial colony, so is useful in newer set-ups.

Of course, I cannot actually prove these products work but my belief is they do help. They're not cheap and I probably won't buy replacements when they run out (they do last a long time as you dose drops rather than millilitres), but as I have them there's certainly no harm in using them.

I'll just dose according to the instructions.

I use Phyton Git all the time and consider it essential, it is as critical as Penac IMHO. It has many applications, just a few drops along the side of the iPhone 4 actually boosts the signal strength.

:lol:

Well, nearly Page 10 and I'm now planted!

4 pots of Eleocharis acicularis from UKAPS sponsors, http://www.Plantedbox.com.

I simply split the pots into about 10 portions each and plant with tweezers behind and in-between a few choice the rocks.

I don't prune it back until it's planted as I find it easier this way. Some prefer to prune before planting.

4809945762_63af07e8cb_b.jpg

I decide on 12 Hyphessobrycon loretoensis (Loreto tetra).

4809323699_cd652aef2b_b.jpg

4809947152_ec8282d5fd_b.jpg

And the heart and lungs of the operation...

4809324003_44f9f69c49_b.jpg

this is already my favourite of your tanks :D .love the rockwork.

Thanks, guys! :D

Graeme Edwards said:
Not sure about your black pipe accent, lol.
Yeah, I need some 17mm glassware really but the circulation from the spraybar is excellent. All the hairgrass is swaying gently in the flow, even though I've deliberately pointed the spraybay upwards slightly to give good surface agitation.

It looks amazing.

On the first pic, the lines on the two rocks are almost in synch with eachother, as if it was always there, and some time ago, long long ago, they broke from each other. That is really good detailing.

Also, the shade of the bigger rock, makes it so natural to look at and for me it is a the centre point.

Just noticed that at the back, the two rocks, far right and far left, are pointing the same way, and the fault line is almost at the same level, as if we are looking at a major cracks on the tank.

There is a space of sand around the rock, at the back, wouldn't you fill it with some rocks as well?

Also, on
4809324003_44f9f69c49_b.jpg
, it looks like a bow on the wood.

Great work, it looks really good.

Stunning. The light colour of the sand in combination with the white background and white lines in the stone is sublime.

Bizzarre to see both you and Saintly taking a similar minimal direction in 'scaping at the same time, maybe you've both reached similar conclusions on your 'path to aquascaping enlightenment' :lol: ? Maybe less truly does equal more? Looks like the new 'philosophy' has been a great success indeed!

Luis - thanks for your observations and approval! To answer your question, I don't think adding more rocks would add much to the design. I may play around with the grey gravel though. Add some more, take some away, see how it looks....

Neil - a lot of my aquascapes are relatively simple and clean looking.

More recently my Cambodia, white cloud mountain minnow and shelldweller biotopes have proved to me that less can be more; they didn't even have any plants!

So this design is a logical progression really. Combining my likeness for Iwagumi with what I've learnt in the last 12 months or so.

Having said that, Mark and I do have similar tastes so it's no surprise that at some point we'd be working on similar 'scaping concepts at some point. :D

stuworrall said:
as already said, looking great planted george. The shadows the rocks make adda great sense of depth.

watch that hydor heater on its side though as aren't they supposed to be mounted vertically?
Thanks mate.

I think you're right about the heater but don't see why it should be an issue. Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for others doing the same and experiencing problems!

You'd think they're due a redesign, very few have cabinets with enough room to hang them properly. Mine I don't think ever was at 90degrees simply because It was impossible to do so without kinking the tubing up a treat.

Tank looks great George, even better planted. I'm sure it will reward you well. Pretty fish too, they looked great in PFK recently and I think would be a nice subtler black neon. Give it 4 weeks and this tank will be due a rescape. ;)

Thanks, Gareth. :D

stuworrall said:
the only thing I could think of was that it might overheat if it gets any air in it on the side. if its vertical any bubbles would rise out of the unit and to the top of the tubing.
Good point! I'll bear that in mind and turn off the heater whenever I work on the filter.

Thanks, Stu. :D

well George, you've done it again mate...raised that UK gumi bar a tad higher. Quality stone placement yet again.

There's much talk about 'your best stone arrangement yet'...i've even said it.

I think it's a case of just another classy scape from you. when do we say ' we've achieved our goals' regards to every stone arrangement?...every hardscape has it's merits. There's no 'ultimate' layout....thankfully.

Everything sits right in this tank. I'm interested to what's connected to the timer that is on for 12 hours? :geek:

hi george, i'm new to the site but hail from the flats of lincolnshire. thought i'd say hi, and good work on the scape, gives a good impression of scale.

Back