• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boyu vs UP inline CO2 atomizers

Mortis

Hey guys, Im planning on getting an inline CO2 diffuser/atomizer. My two options are the Boyu and the UP atomizers. Ive heard good things about both but which one would you guys reccommend ? Is the UP atomizer worth the extra cash ? While both have generally favourable views Im hoping someone here has tried both. Also which one is easier to maintain, dissolves CO2 better, etc. Im aiming for a light CO2 mist in my tank. Thanks !

I have used both of these, I do prefer the UP Atomizer, it creates a finer mist than the Boyo therefore the bubbles are smaller and dissolve quicker. Also I could not get the Boyo up very high as the larger bubble size created a squeaking effect in the spray bar which was really annoying.

The UP Atomizer also does not need jubilee clips as it has its own ones built in both for the filter hose and co2 tube.

That was my experience, there are people here using the Boyo with great success also.

Thanks for that. Any idea on the cleaning, maintainence, longevity of the two ?

Mortis said:
Thanks for that. Any idea on the cleaning, maintainence, longevity of the two ?
No idea to be honest, used the Boyo for about 6 months, never had to clean it, its gone to a new home now.
The UP haven't used it for much longer than that either, again no problems with it also.

Good to know. So is the UP worth the extra cash you think ?

I would say the up isthe better of the two finer mist as stated above
the only thing is you may need to tweak your reg as to work well
the up needs an output pressure of about 1.7bar

Cool will place the order. Just checking, for the Tetratec Ex 700 I would need the Medium one right ? The 16/12 one ?

I recently bought both the Boyu and the UP because I've heard good things about both and wanted to compare for myself.

The UP looks a lot nicer and was easier to install because of the lock nuts, but I'm not actually sold on the build quality being better; the plastic seems quite brittle, whereas the Boyu is ugly but built like a tank.

The bubbles from the Boyu are quite large and the diffuser runs with almost no gas pressure at all; I reckon it could almost be used as an air stone with a standard air pump. The UP has bubbles so fine they're almost invisible, but I don't know if I got a slightly duff unit because mine needs 3 bar pressure before the gas will start to move.

Going back to what I said about the plastic seeming to be quite brittle, I can't say I'm too keen on pumping 3 bar pressure into plastic that could potentially burst under the strain. The UP diffuses the gas much more effectively, but when something is plumbed into a filter pipe you also need to be confident you won't end up with a flood.

What reg are you using I'm looking for an adjustable one?

I ordered mine a week ago. I told the guy I was doing a review for a big aquarium website so he should pack it well and test it before sending or he would get a bad review. Lol it worked he was all yes sir we will test it and all items are packed well and he even threw in registered post for free which would have been an extra £2.

Just wanted to check if my reg is compatible. It is a welding regulator with 2 gauges. One shows the cylinder pressure and the other shows outlet pressure in kg/cm2. It has a flow control valve on it and with the glass diffusor I keep it between 0.5 and 1 which is marked on the gauge as 'weld'. Higher up on the gauge from 4 - 8 is an area marked 'cut' so I guess my reg is capable of handling the pressure needed for the UP atomizer ?

Your regulator shouldn't have any problem giving a high enough outlet pressure. I think 1 bar is approximately the same as 1 kg/cm2 so anything between 1.5 and 3 on your regulator will probably work.

Mortis said:
I ordered mine a week ago. I told the guy I was doing a review for a big aquarium website so he should pack it well and test it before sending or he would get a bad review. Lol it worked he was all yes sir we will test it and all items are packed well and he even threw in registered post for free which would have been an extra £2.

you are a very, very naughty man! lol i admire your front! :)

Got my atomizer today. CAme pretty quick considering I only ordered it last Saturday. Unfortunately I gave my FE for refilling yesterday since it was running low and I wasnt expecting this so soon. Initial impressions : Looks OK, fairly sturdy except for the CO2 connector nipple thingy which looks like it might snap off anytime. Once I set it up I might just use epoxy to fit a bit of tubing there permanently and to reinforce it. Or Ill just wrap it in some foam and duct tape it.

Finally got round to connecting it today on the filter outlet. Unfortunately, I seem to be having a problem with mine. I have the pressure on the reg all the way up to 2.7 2.8 and I dont think it is diffusing yet. Is there any way to tell if it is working ? I held a light right next to the outlet tube just after the diffusor thinking that the bubbles were dissolving before reaching the tank but I cannot see anything at all. Is there anything I can do or do I have a defective piece ?

Mortis said:
Finally got round to connecting it today on the filter outlet. Unfortunately, I seem to be having a problem with mine. I have the pressure on the reg all the way up to 2.7 2.8 and I dont think it is diffusing yet. Is there any way to tell if it is working ? I held a light right next to the outlet tube just after the diffusor thinking that the bubbles were dissolving before reaching the tank but I cannot see anything at all. Is there anything I can do or do I have a defective piece ?

If its working/diffusing its inpossible not to see the fine mist as it enters the tank.
Mine is set at 1.7. some what higher, than when i used a diffuser. Anything much lower, and it wont work..

Back